Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA undetectable...can I add this?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA undetectable...can I add this?

Here are my AM numbers after 2 days of round the clock filtering and lots of 6% bleach.

FC 3
    CC .5
    pH 7.2
    TA 90
    CYA undetectable

I know I don't want CYA high - had that issue last year but am thinking I need to raise it some to have bleach work. I have a small bottle of stabilized chlorinator for my spa that is 100% sodium dichloro s-triazinetrione dihydrate. Can I use that to raise CYA a bit and how much do I use for 30k gallon pool?

Also, even though chlorine degrades during the day in sunlight, I keep adding it every hour to keep at shock levels until the water clears - is that correct?

Thanks for the help guys - love this forum.
    ____________________________________________________________ _____________________

Vinyl free form IG 30,000 gallon pool
    Hayward S270T Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    AO Smith 1081 Centurion Pool Pump
    Sliding Board
    TF50 Test Kit and Taylor Ph test kit
    Aquabot Tempo

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: CYA undetectable...can I add this?

Yes, it will raise CYA and FC. Use The Pool Calculator to figure out how much to use to raise the FC and CYA. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the "effects of adding chemicals" section. Yes, keep the pool at shock level until the process is completed.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: CYA undetectable...can I add this?

You need SOME CYA in your pool. Your FC is being consumed by sunlight without it.

Dose enough in there to get to 30ppm. If you don't know how much that is, use the Pool Calculator or post back and we'll help.

You will struggle with your pool all summer if you don't introduce some CYA.

How does your water look?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School