Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Used PH Reducer with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Used PH Reducer with SWG

First time pool owner and opened the pool this past weekend. Had my water tested at the store and ph levels were too high. They sold me a ph reducer which I used. Now, through the great info on this forum, I see that dry acid and ph reducers should not be used when one has a swg. What's the reasoning for this and did I cause any damage to my swg after just one dose?

27x14x6 IG Salt Water Pool
    Raypak 206 NG Heater
    T-Cell-9 Super Chlorinator
    Hayward Tristar 1/2 HP Pump
    Aqua P4 Logic System w/AquaPod
    Cartridge Filter System

2. Back To Top    #2

An hour NW of Philly

Re: Used PH Reducer with SWG

I add muriatic acid all the time to keep my Ph in check and i have a SWG. I think you're supposed to add things like that with the cell off but I don't....I suspect I'll get corrected for that shortly. So until you hear otherwise do as I say and not as i can add muriatic by a return but it with your cell off for a half hour.
    27k Gal, IG Plaster Ansylbrite, Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter, Jandy Aquapure APURE1400 SWG, WhisperFlo WFE-28 pool pump, WhisperFlo WFE-26 Waterfall pump, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C Heater, Polaris 1-470-02 Air Blower, Jandy PDA 4.1a firmware

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Dry acids add extra things such as sulfates to the pool water. It's best to not add anything else into the water that you don't need to add because they could end up causing negative effects down the road. One dose isn't going to harm anything so don't worry about that.

The vast majority of pool owners here use muriatic acid to lower the pH when indicated. Muriatic acid is a fairly antiquated term for hydrochloric acid, which is a pure substance in the fact that it does it's job without adding any extra stuff to the water.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Muriatic acid is also way less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School