May 23, 2011
Well, my first set of numbers is in

FC 0
TC 2
PH 7.6
ALK 140
CH 80
CYA 40

Since my TC is higher than my FC and my water is cloudy I am shocking at 16ppm (based on my CYA reading of 40) until my water holds overnight with less than 1ppm FC loss. I have already lost some chlorine since sundown and adjusted to keep it at 16ppm overnight. However, I have three questions.

1) I am assuming that I don't need to add acid and that an alkalinity of 140 and PH is okay based on what I have read in this forum, although I did add a couple of leftover trichlor pucks to my feeder to deal with this.

2) My CH doesn't matter because I have a vinyl liner correct? Do I even need to test for this from now on?

3) I would also like advice on whether I should raise my CYA to 50-70 to battle the Alabama sun after I finish this shocking process by using a little Dichlor?

You seem to have this pretty well understood. Those leftover trichlor pucks will not add much to the pool, your pool is about the size of mine and that is around 1 ppm of CYA per puck maybe 1.4, I forget. Not much anyhow.

Yes, CH does not matter for you until it gets really high. You could still get scale at high CH values, but low CH won't matter to the vinyl like it would to plaster.

Yes, you will probably want to raise the CYA a bit when you are done. You may want to keep a chart and see how your FC usage is. I prefer to run a bit low on the CYA at the start of summer so that when I take a trip I can switch on the feeder and not worry too much about the CYA it will add. A week or two gone can add 10 or 20 points to the CYA which is no big deal starting from 40, but is a big deal if you are already at 70.

Yes, CC is greater than 0.5, you need to keep shocking.

1) Those PH and TA numbers are fine for now. When everything is cleaned up you might want to adjust them.
2) Correct. Test CH two or three times a year to make sure it never gets too high.
3) After you are done shocking and everything is balanced, raising CYA a little is worth thinking about. For now leave it where it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.