Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool calculator numbers correct?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool calculator numbers correct?!

This is a continuation of another topic I started but thought it best to start new one.

I replaced ALL the water in the pool to get rid of high CYA level (200ppm). I tested new water and here are results:
    FC = 0
    pH = 7.6
    TA = 60
    CH = 50
    CYA = 0

Assuming these are normal results because it's just tap water. But, using the pool calc, the recommendations to get everything balanced I need to:

FC = add 249 ozs of bleach. Ok.
    PH = ok...might actually be 7.5, hard to tell
    TA = add 188 ounces or 12 lbs of baking soda. 12 lbs?! Really?
    CH = add 622 ounces or 39 lbs of calcium carbonate. 39 lbs?! Again, really?
    CYA = add 80 ounces of stabilizer to get to 30. Ok.

Some of these sound excessive, particularly the CH one. The test results for this were normal before I emptied pool. Could there be that much difference in new water?

But, I trust you guys, thanks.
    24.5k gallon
    Sand filter (Triton II TR 100)
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool calculator numbers correct?!

You need to enter numbers in the Target column that are appropriate for your situation. The Pool Calculator doesn't know what your Targets should be. It does list target ranges, but you have to work from those ranges and decide what to enter in the Target column.

I would target FC of 3 for now. TA of 80 or 90. PH is fine where it is now. And target CYA of 40. You will want to raise CH, but don't start on that right away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Okey dokey, will do, thx...pool looks so good now, don't want to get in it! LOL.
    24.5k gallon
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Is that full tile, i.e. no exposed plaster? I have always wondered about the CH requirement in a full tile pool. My FIL in Brazil has a full tile pool and I am sure they have never even tested for CH in the 30 years he has owned it. Pretty sure fill water is low CH as source is rain-filled reservoirs, and annual rainfall is massive. (We went 56 years without worrying about it in a painted steel pool in NJ, too.)
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

Painted steel doesn't need CH. Tile doesn't care, but the grout between the tiles needs calcium or it can erode away. Often there is some CH in the fill water, so things can work out that way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

It's fully tiled. But, I like Jason's advice, I'll go slowly in getting to correct chemical balance.
    24.5k gallon
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

7. Back To Top    #7

You could chlorinate with Cal Hypo, this would bring up your FC and your CH at the same time.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok...progress. After a few days of complete water replacement and adding some chems, here are my numbers:

FC = 4.5 (this is after adding 12 gallons of bleach over 3 days)
    pH = 8.0 (could be because I added 5 lbs of baking soda to raise TA?)
    TA = 80
    CH = 50 (same thing as when first added water, haven't added anything yet for this)
    CYA = 0 (however, a few days ago I added 5 lbs of solid CYA to socks submerged)...this one concerns me because I don't want to go back to 200ppm like it was before...is this ok or should I pull one or two of the socks out?

How am I doing?
    24.5k gallon
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

9. Back To Top    #9

You should lower the PH, and otherwise things look good. CYA is probably around 15 right now. Give it a full week after your added more and then test again to see where you ended up.

10. Back To Top    #10

I didnt think baking soda affected the pH level only TA?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Baking soda can raise the PH just a tiny bit (more if the PH starts really really low). But that wouldn't be enough to account for what happened here.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, thx. Other questions:
    1. I'm using 'vinyl' as pool type for a fully tiled pool. Correct?
    2. I added muriatic acid to lower pH. Got scary warnings on how dangerous this chemical is. Do I really need a respirator to use if I'm adding relatively small amounts (28 ozs) and trade winds are blowing? I did use rubber gloves and eye protection in case I tripped or something, but haven't worked with this before.
    3. I've read that low pH levels have some effect on humans but does high pH have any affect? Is it ok to be in the pool?
    24.5k gallon
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

13. Back To Top    #13

1. Would not "plaster" make sense due to the grout?
    2. I poured 7 gallons of MA into my pool last night and I'm not dead. I opened the seal with my bare fingers and wore shorts to work in LOL! YMMV.
    3. I'd say it depends on how high or how low! I neither want to take a bath in strong sulfuric acid nor strong sodium hydroxide!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Definitely wear eye protection when using muriatic acid, but no need for a respirator or gloves (unless you have open cuts).
    People are totally fine from 7.2 to around 8.6, and only have mild irritation for some distance outside that.

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, thx.

Only difference I see in pool calc numbers when switching from vinyl to plaster is for CH. Vinyl = 50-300, plaster = 250-350. So, are you still recommending that I wait to raise my current level from 50?

Robbie...LOL, 7 gallons!! But, noticed you have 44k gallons. Wow...is this your private pool or something you manage? Maybe you could generate some waves in that hummer!
    24.5k gallon
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

16. Back To Top    #16

The grout between the tiles is basically plaster, even though the mix is just slightly different. You should use the recommended levels for a plaster pool.

17. Back To Top    #17

It is my personal pool. I do manage it though.

The eye protection is a very good idea. I was EXTREMELY careful to not slosh while pouring, but there is always the chance, and your eyes are precious.