CPSC48 install (mostly new reports of pool conditions)

Re: CPSC48 install

@Bobo

Great thread! I am looking at the CompuPool and CircuPool. You said in this thread or another thread that the difference in price between the 36 and 48 was $50. I'm seeing like $250 difference. Where did you get yours at?

Also, that gauge on your filter looks oil filled? Where did you get it. The one I have in my Pentair on the Blled valve is almost unreadable from SUN damage.

Nice writeup and PIX,Thanx!

Picked mine up at poolnpatio.net it was ($749). The gauge is glycerin filled. Safe for drinking water applications. Picked it up online less than $10 did a google search on shopping (Made in china, but the price was right)

bobodaclown said:
Picked mine up at poolnpatio.net it was ($749). The gauge is glycerin filled. Safe for drinking water applications. Picked it up online less than $10 did a google search on shopping (Made in china, but the price was right)

Thanx!

Do you know the fitting size on the gauge. Is it 1/8" NPT?

CompuPool makes cheap generic cells for everybody else's Chlorinators, are there any cheap Generics for Compupool?

les_garten said:
CompuPool makes cheap generic cells for everybody else's Chlorinators, are there any cheap Generics for Compupool?

I suspect they will say you are getting a cheap "brand name" cell. I know people who are using the Compupool 36 and 48 cells for the Autopilot DIG-220 and they work every bit as well as the brand name. I don't know anyone using the 60.

Dalandlord said:
les_garten said:

I suspect they will say you are getting a cheap "brand name" cell. I know people who are using the Compupool 36 and 48 cells for the Autopilot DIG-220 and they work every bit as well as the brand name. I don't know anyone using the 60.

Yeah exactly! I was considering getting an autopilot because the replacement cells are so cheap. But I keep reading about the digital pool pilot electronics failures and how expensive they are and feel the CompuPool or Circupool are better deals because you can get the whole unit with a cell for the cost of some of the Pool Pilot parts. Probably the percentage failures are low, but when you read that someone bought a cell and then a tri sensor, and then found out the fan went and/or the board went, I just feel the pain reading these stories.

bobodaclown said:
The threads are just a the standard thread for the gauge. Sorry I don't know what they are actually.

I just finished shopping for a nice Glycerin filled Stainless, Glass Faced gauge. It was a little difficult getting all SS inside and out and glass face in the range I wanted but I found it.

Those threads are 1/4" NPT

here's the gauge I found:

http://www.dfs-gauges.com/products/9831873

Kinda expensive, but I've been thinking about this for a while and your PIC kicked my Pants!

I can't hardly read my current gauge

8/27 Update.

Had to change out my pool motor. I have a 3/4 impeller and installed a 3/4 motor. Things seem to be going well.

Test numbers:
TC 5.5, FC 5.5, CC 0, PH 7.7, TA 80, CH 425, Salt 4000, Borates 40, CSI -.24 Temp 82F

Water looks and feels good.

9/9 Numbers Update.
Had dogs in the pool needed to shock that is the reason for the high FC levels.
Pool is looking good. Have to run robie every few days due to leaves and acorns dropping.

Test numbers.
TC 12.5, FC 12.5, CC 0, PH 7.6, CYA 80, TA 90, CH 525, Salt 4500, Borates 40, CSI -.13, Temp 78F, PSI Gauge 5 psi.

9/24 Numbers
Test numbers:
TC 9.5, FC 9.5 PH 7.5, TA 80, CH 525, CYA 80, Borates 50, Salt 4000, PSI Gauge 5.5 PSI, CSI -.24 Temp 78F

Pool is looking great, but the acorns dropping in are driving me nuts. Robie is getting a great workout. We're still swimming in the pool it pretty refreshing. Got my borates up to 50 using Boric Acid it had measured around 30 and I was having issues with PH rise got my TA down to 80. It's seems to have stabilized. Reading the strips for Borates and Salt isn't the easiest thing.

Ive

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

10/15 numbers:
TC 9, FC 8, CC 0, PH 7.4, TA 70, CH 500, CYA 75, Borates 50, Salt 4000, PSI Gauge 7.5, CSI -.37, Temp 76F.

Running the pool heater, it appears to be working well. . Pool looks good. Nuts still dropping. Got lots of rain and had to drain some water out. Plates on the SWCG look fine. Added MA to lower PH and TA levels.

10/23 Test Results:
TC 6.5, CC .5, FC 6.0, PH 7.8, TA 90, CH 525, CYA 75, Borates 50, Salt 3500, PSI Gage 5.0, CSI 0.0, Temp 68F.

Pool has really cooled down. Haven't run heater in the week. Added MA to lower PH and TA. Got some stains from acorns, but lighten daily. Pump runs 9am - 4pm, 60% on the SWCG. Swapped out filter this week. Robie runs twice a week.

11/19 Test Results:
TC 6, CC 0, FC 6, PH 7.5, TA 85, CH 525, CYA 70, Borates 50, Salt 4000, PSI 5.0, Temp 68F CSI -.24

Jumped in. Brrr. Water looks good. Adjusted pump run time down, and 30% on SWCG. All is looking well.

1/21 Test results:
TC 4.5, FC 4.5, PH 7.7, TA 70, CH 550, CYA 70, Salt 3500, Temp 56F, CSI -.3, PSI 8

Pool is looking fine. Robie runs about twice a week to get the leaves out from the bottom of the pool. Pool filter pressure has been pretty steady no bather load and the coolness of the water is keeping the leaves from breaking down, so there is really not much to filter out.

The plates on the CPSC48 look good, no scale or build up.

Today I changed out filters. PSI dropped to 5.5 PSI and flow rate is about 52 GPM. Made some adjustments to the jets.

2/3 Test results
TC 6.0 FC6.0, PH 7.7, TA 70, CH 575, CYA 70, Salt 3500, Temp 63, CSI -.15

All is going well. Need to swap out filters, PSI climbed up pretty quick so I'm thinking the original one needs a good cleaning. I've got two that I swap back and forth. I've never washed the original, I usually rinse and let it dry then blow or vac. I think I'll follow the cleaning procedures:

1) Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer’s instructions
2) Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element. Work from the top down,
holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between the pleats.
3) Rinse until all dirt and debris is gone
4) For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils
are present, soak the element for at least one hour (overnight is most effective) in:
(A) a commercial filter cleaner, or,
(B) one cup tri sodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons of water
(C) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.
5) Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.
6) If the filter has a coating of algae, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypo chlorite), iron, or other
minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops.
7) Rinse

2/10 Test Results
TC 5.0, FC 4.5, CC 0.5, PH 8.0, TA 75, CH 550, CYA 60, Salt 3500, Temp 63.

PSI 5.5 and flow is 51 GPM

Added approx 48 oz of 31% Muratic acid to bring PH down to 7.4 Water look good. Need some rain to bring the level up. Don't want to have to add water, it brings the TA and Salt levels up.

I'm looking at getting the CPSC48 for my pool in the next week or so. I looked at the manual, and it shows the unit being powered by the regular pool timer. If the unit only receives power when the pump is on, how does it keep time? I didn't see anything about a backup battery, or replacement battery for the clock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.