Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELLLPPPPP!

1. Back To Top    #1

HELLLPPPPP!

I was tired tonight and not thinking straight---put in too much CYA. I immediatley realized my mistake when I went to write the numbers down and took the sock out of the pool. Knew I needed to halve the amount (not fun when wet--a complete freakin' mess!) Put the sock back in the pool. Now, what in the heck do I do with the leftover WET CYA??? I looked at the MSDS sheet and it really did not help. It is about 1.5-2# dry CYA that is wet and soggy.
    AG Intex Ultra Frame
    Round 16 ft x 48 in, 5061 gal
    2500 gph Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELLLPPPPP!

Let's wait for chemgeek to reply!

But off the top of my head, I'd say, bury it in some weedpatch corner of your yard and let it biodegrade into ammonia. You'll end up with some thriving bushy weeds!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Will it kill fire ants? if so.....send it to me!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I called the non-emergency fire department and they had no idea. The lieutenant told me to put it up somewhere and cover it and call the solid waste district tomorrow! MSDS sheet online said NOT to cover it if wet. We have hazardous waste drop off in our county, but it was until (sigh) 4pm TODAY! Chemgeek, I hope you are online soon!
    AG Intex Ultra Frame
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

If you leave it outside somewhere where it can dry off you should be able to rescue most of it. But you don't want the run off going into the ground. Try putting it in a basin or bucket but held up off the bottom so it can dry out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If it doesn't dry out or you want to get rid of it, then the following is typical of most MSDS for Cyanuric Acid:

WASTE DISPOSAL:
    If this product becomes a waste, it DOES NOT meet the criteria of a hazardous
    waste as defined under 40 CFR 261, in that it does not exhibit the
    characteristics of hazardous waste in Subpart C, nor is it listed as a
    hazardous waste under Subpart D. As a nonhazardous solid waste, it should be
    disposed of in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations by
    disposal in a secure chemical landfill. Care must be taken to prevent
    environmental contamination from the use of this material. The user of this
    material has the responsibility to dispose of unused material, residues and
    containers in compliance with all relevant local, state and federal laws and
    regulations regarding treatment, storage and disposal for hazardous and
    nonhazardous wastes.
    You can always take it to your local garbage dump that has a hazardous waste facility and tell them what it is. They may just have you dump it with regular landfill, but that's up to them and they'll know the local regs (and can look it up, if necessary). It's toxic in concentrated form, but soil bacterial will love it and use it as a food source producing ammonia (actually ammonium ion which is more prevalent at lower pH) that will be taken up by plants, but only if this CYA gets well diluted.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Our county solid waste district has told me I can keep it in the garage, uncovered or covered, until I can take it to the next hazardous waste disposal (on Saturday). Thanks for all your advice!
    AG Intex Ultra Frame
    BBB