Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does the filter tank has air compressed? I feel chicken

1. Back To Top    #1

Does the filter tank has air compressed? I feel chicken

Hi all , I am new on this.

When the contractors closed it i didn't have the chance to see or to ask them what they did. Now I want to open the swimming pool by myself. I realized they unplugged 4 bolts from the pump, loosen the clamp that holds the valve to the filter tank and removed the manometer.

What I have done:
    Retired, washed and stocked the cover
    Added the shock liquid to the water, water seems not dirty
    I have put all the 4 bolts in the pump.
    I have Tighten the clamp
    I have put the manometer

Everything seems ready to be started, just i feel chicken because the handbook says it is dangerous if there is compressed air in the tank, how can i know?, what do i have to do?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Does the filter tank has air compressed? I feel chicken

Most filters have an air vent on the top. You open the air vent, fill the pump strainer basket with water, close the pump strainer basket, and turn on the pump. As soon as a steady stream of water comes out of the top of the filter, close the air vent.

A few filters with a multi-position valve on top don't have an air vent, in which case you skip the steps related to the air vent.

When you start the pump, keep an eye out for water spraying out somewhere unexpected. If you get a jet of water, turn off the pump and figure out what is going on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Does the filter tank has air compressed? I feel chicken

What he said. Just remember, even if there is air in there, it's only under the same pressure you normally run at. It's far, far lower than your car tire, or even a bicycle tire.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!