Why is it called an Autopilot?

Apr 14, 2011
The Bluegrass State
Just went and checked my FC after pumping out 1000+- gallons of rain water that came over the last couple days. I'm sitting at 1.5 FC which brings to mind two questions.

1. Why is my salt generator called an Autopilot system? If I have to constantly raise and lower the percentage based on any number of variables, then it ain't piloting anything... I am! It does appear to be TRYING to pilot something though as the percentage on the display changes all the time from what I have it on. It'll be set to 22% with a 24 hour pump run time and then I'll go out another day and it'll say 15%. Can someone explain that to me? And does a 20% output on a 24 hour cycle sound about right?

2. Obviously 1.5 isn't the ideal 3-4 range, but is it unsafe to swim in? What FC will algae grow? I just put the Autopilot into 24 hour boost mode to get it back up to snuff but what if I were out of town a few days and wasnt here to address the issue? Will algae bloom that quick or does it have to drop all the way to 0 FC for a few days?

Thanks as always.

So with 60 on the CYA, and FC of 3 is your bare minimum. This would indicate that a FC of 1.5 is not properly sanitized and will not kill pathogens effectively, nor will it prevent an algae bloom.

257WbyMag said:
So with 60 on the CYA, and FC of 3 is your bare minimum. This would indicate that a FC of 1.5 is not properly sanitized and will not kill pathogens effectively, nor will it prevent an algae bloom.

That's what I don't get. 3-6 is a very thin band to work in, IMO. If my "autopilot" actually monitored the chlorine level and adjusted the percentage on it's own, it'd be no big deal. However, its a big pain in the butt to test your water every day because there was a nasty storm that filled the pool the night before or my wife had five friends and their offspring over to swim in the pool. In my case, we've had literally SEVERAL DAYS in a row with no stop in the rain. Surely I'm not supposed to be out in the rain and lightning every day vaccuming the pool and testing the water like an idiot. Right? Right?

Not sure on the CC at this moment. I'll check in a few and post back.

The AutoPilot units are temperature compensated, so they change the percentage setting automatically as the water temperature changes. On my setup, I can go months without changing the percentage setting manually. The AutoPilot takes care of it. You do have to spend a little while figuring out what the right setting is in the first place, but after that it mostly takes care of it's self.

It is important to not think in terms of setting it to a specific percentage, since the percentage will be changing out from under you and you don't know what it thinks the water temperature is. Instead, just adjust it up and down based on the amount of chlorine you measure being too high or too low. If FC is too high, turn it down a little, if FC is too low, turn it up a little.

JasonLion said:
The AutoPilot units are temperature compensated, so they change the percentage setting automatically as the water temperature changes. On my setup, I can go months without changing the percentage setting manually. The AutoPilot takes care of it. You do have to spend a little while figuring out what the right setting is in the first place, but after that it mostly takes care of it's self.

It is important to not think in terms of setting it to a specific percentage, since the percentage will be changing out from under you and you don't know what it thinks the water temperature is. Instead, just adjust it up and down based on the amount of chlorine you measure being too high or too low. If FC is too high, turn it down a little, if FC is too low, turn it up a little.

Great info, Jason. Thanks!

And FWIW, I went ahead and added 88oz bleach to get the FC quickly back up to 4 instead of waiting on the Autopilot's Boost mode which I have no idea how fast it can raise the FC. That'll be an experiment for another day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.