Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help clear my green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help clear my green pool

Ok, trying to turn my pool back into a sparkling oasis!
    Using the TF100 kit, these are my readings:

FC-4 parts per million
    Ph- 6
    CC-2
    TA- 10
    CH- 200
    CYA- 50
    These readings are for a 30,000 gal IG pool with a vinyl liner. We have a sand filter.
    This problem occurred after the tornados that came through AL. Pool was clear prior to the storms, but since we have had green water. Approximately two weeks. Started yesterday with chlorine. Added total of 2400 ounces since 3 PM yesterday. We have also been brushing the pool and running the filter continuously. Water is still green and is not holding a high level of chlorine. What do I need to do now?
    24 ft. AG Jacuzzi pool, 52" high, 1.5hp Flo-Pro by Jacuzzi sand filter
    Deck coming soon!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help clear my green pool

Are you sure you added Chlorine and not Muratic Acid? TA of 10 and PH of 6 is bound to cause damage to your pool surface. PH needs to be raised with Borax to 7.2 promptly. How did you measure PH of 6? The TF100 only goes down to 6.8

Once PH is back in line, you will need a lot of bleach/liquid chlorine. Sorry to hear about the trouble the storms caused
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

As dmanb2b said, you need to get the PH up to at least 7.2, then continue shocking.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Checked #'s and PH was 6.8. I used liquid chlorine (bleach 6%)
    One thing that I did realize after reading some more posts, was that instead of adding the bleach all at one time, I added a little at a time over a 24 hr period. Going to try this again over the weekend. Thanks guys!
    Deck coming soon!

5. Back To Top    #5

Make it a priority to work on getting PH and TA at least roughly in range You want PH between 7.2 and 7.8 and TA between 50 and 90 for now. Chlorine is sometimes ineffective when PH and TA are too low.

Then try raising FC to shock level, around 16 to 20 when CYA is 50, a couple of times a day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Remember, pH will read wrong at shock levels, so you need to get it right before you start shocking, and then ignore it until shocking is done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks so much guys! I will let you know how it goes!!
    Deck coming soon!

8. Back To Top    #8

Started late yesterday afternoon with my shock after getting my Ph levels and TA in the acceptable range. Checked my shock levels every half hour then hourly and only had to add minimal chlorine to keep it high. This morning levels had dropped from 20 to 17, pool still had some green spots but after brushing it is now a murky blue. I am seeing progress but will continue to monitor chlorine level closely today. Thanks so much !
    Deck coming soon!

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like you are getting things under control!

Can we see a pic of your pool?

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Still not sparkling, but getting there!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deck coming soon!

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey! It's not green!!

Keep the FC up and the filter running, and go away for a couple hours. A watched pot never boils and a watched pool never clears.

Do not get complacent, though.....run the shock process until completion, including that annoying overnight loss test.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!