Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light output from LED fixtures vs. Pentair Sam

1. Back To Top    #1

Light output from LED fixtures vs. Pentair Sam

Our pool has two Sam color changing lights, one in the main pool and one in the spa. They both house 2 70W bulbs each. They are also 120V fixtures, and I would like to change these to new 12V fixtures. I've seen much about the new LED based fixtures (e.g. Intellibrite, ColorLogic, etc) and wonder how their light output compares to the Sam lights. I'm not terribly happy with the output of the Sam in the pool. Unfortunately, the builder only put one wet niche into the main pool, and being free form, and on the large side, the single Sam light doesn't really illuminate the pool adequately. How would the new LED lights perform in this context? Any other thoughts about increasing brightness for when the kids are swimming at night?
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Light output from LED fixtures vs. Pentair Sam

In my experiences, the SAM and the LED is not a LARGE difference. In the last few years technology has gotten better, but we are still limited to the lumens that LED and a 75W halogen. Thought the LED, such as "intellibrite" can do more color, it will not outshine a SAM. Maybe someone else can kick in their opinion, but I wanted to post what I've seen in the field. Also, keep in mind, they do make 120v LED as well. Polaris was selling an LED bulb for a while, but I think they discontinued it. Also, LED lights can have strips of the lights go out and there is no way to replace them without changing the whole bulb or you want to take on re-soldering new bulbs in

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Led's are about 30% brighter, and have a more even light.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree with you there racket. LED has came along way. there 5g white is up to 500 watts eq but color is still at 75. I also heard the Sam and Sal will be OBS soon.

5. Back To Top    #5

Intellibrite is the way to go. We love all the great color light shows
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, thanks for all of the replies. It sounds as thought the Intellibrights are the way to go. They are just do danged pricey!
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

7. Back To Top    #7

Look at ebay. We did and got it for a very good price.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

I hope you have found a solution to your light problem. If you are interested in selling your used SAM lights, please contact me at pegasus@provide.net. I have a non-working sam light and would like to replace it.
    Thanks,
    Jim Rice
    Intex 9x18 ultra frame pool
    2560 Sand Filter salt water system