Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Silica Sand=Filter Sand????

1. Back To Top    #1

Silica Sand=Filter Sand????

I ordered a new Sand Filter....I checked locally and was quoted $700 plus sand at the local pool store for a 24" filter. I got one on ebay, shipped to my door for $220 (inc. shipping!!!) It's a 25" 300 lb filter.
    Now I need to find a good deal for the sand....lol...The cheapest thing on a pool is the owner!
    The local pool supply wants around 16 bucks for a 50 pound bag. I called home Depot...they said they didn't carry it. I called a local building supply place and they said they had silica sand in two sizes....20/30 and 70....I asked him if that was the size of the grain or the number...he didnt know. In any case he's selling his stuff for $14.25 for a 100 lb bag.
    My question to you experienced guys.....Should I go with the actual "filter sand" from the pool supply or could I get away with the building supply silica and if so ....20/30 or 70??? Or is this not enough info?
    Thank
    16x32 Vinyl inground pool, 9-4'x10' solar panels, sand filter, Taylor K-2006 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Silica Sand=Filter Sand????

If you check Ace hardware or True Value, they will usually stock some. I recall paying somewhere around $7-8/bag
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    If you check Ace hardware or True Value, they will usually stock some. I recall paying somewhere around $7-8/bag
    i got mine from there as well!
    18x52'' intex AGP, 6981 gal, 2650 intex sand filter,
    thru wall skimmer, SWG, 52'' 20G overlap liner, intex pool light

4. Back To Top    #4

You want grains from .45 to .55 mm, which is also known as pool-grade #20 silica sand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You want grains from .45 to .55 mm, which is also known as pool-grade #20 silica sand.
    That's what I understand...I wonder if that's what he means by 20/30????
    16x32 Vinyl inground pool, 9-4'x10' solar panels, sand filter, Taylor K-2006 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

our pool filter sand bags used to say 20/30 grade #20 silica sand on them

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by uncledeadly
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    That's what I understand...I wonder if that's what he means by 20/30????
    likely referring to US Standard Sieve Size. the 20/30 sand particles are likely smaller than the #20 screen (.85 mm) but bigger than the #30 screen (.60 mm)

http://www.wovenwire.com/reference/screen-sieve-pr.htm