Photos to Share: Sloped Backyard Retaining Wall for AGP

johnnysnok

Feb 25, 2011
South Jersey
Thought i would share some photos of our pool and deck area. We always wanted a pool but our yard sloped about 4' just 20' past our deck. All of the pool people said i could not set a pool on top of a retaining wall area, so for three years i just sat on the deck and sweated!
Last August i had enough and decided to go with my idea to build a retaining wall backfill and level it so the pools top rail would be just above my exisiting deck. I had to build the pool about 14" away from the deck and then build out to it. We had a pretty bad winter her in New Jersey and the pool did fine along with the foundation. Beleive it or not the pool is not even a year old and we just installed our third liner but that's another story. Our pool is an Doughboy 12'x24' oval with wedding cake steps.

Shorelover said:
That looks great! What materials did you use on the deck?

And 3 liners???

I used Timber Teck decking which i installed about 5 years ago. Composite decking has come a long way since then and i think there are some better products out there now. It still needs some matanience every year it gets dirty and mildew stains and they even stopped making the railing system that i have and went to a gloss PVC type.

Last year we had the pool for 5 days and the seam failed and all 12,000 gallons ran down the hill into the lake. Dough Boy sent my pool dealer a new liner and that was installed last August but the tile art work was so misaligned at the seam it was driving me nuts so i told them i wanted another liner which we installed just this spring a few weeks ago. I really am tired of filling this pool and i hope i don't have to do it for a long time!

I don't blame you for being tired of filling the pool!!

Is all of your decking Timber Teck, or is some of it painted wood? If so, what did you do to paint it? I have some older wood decking that I need to do some stain or paint on, and am not sure which way to go. My house is also gray and I like the look of yours. When it's older, I'll look into replacing with a composite.

It really looks good, hope you get to enjoy that pool with no more major issues!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, love love love the deck! And the pool of course.

I assume the issue with using a retaining wall area may be that it is backfilled and may settle? What did you do to avoid that issue?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.