Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some help... PLEASE

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some help... PLEASE

Opened the pool , it was a green mess .Vacumed algae out , slowly clearing up . The Cya level was 0 !,and I had 2 pm of Ammonia (yes, my yearly problem) I shocked the pool with granules and put the SWG on Boost .Ammonia is gone and I added CYA Sunday evening, it is now up to 50 ppm .Fc is 11, I figured I'll leave it high until I'm at my 75ppm of CYA , still a little cloudy but I'm starting being able to see the bottom. My Alk is 90, Ph was 6.8 , I guess after adding the Cya the Ph dropped ?? How can i clear this up quickly and how long do I wait before adding more Cya ???
    thanks
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some help... PLEASE

Your pH reading is suspect, because FC is over 10. So don't sweat it. CYA will take a week or so to register 100%. If you added enough to get to 75, assume that's what it is for now. Since you're battling algae, don't add any more! Yet.

Right now you need to worry about killing the algae. If CYA is only 50, FC should be 16 or above. If you added enough to get to 75, then FC should be above 21! The SWG will not be able to get it up there - you need to manually add chlorine. Depending on the CH value, you might be able to buy powdered shock - Calcium Hypochlorite - or you may wish to just use bleach.

This how-to will explain what you need to do in greater detail. But don't add any more CYA until the pool is clear!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough (no pun!!). The pool started out real green . I shocked with bleach and it seemed to kill everything. I put the SWG on boost and vacuumed all the algae to waste .there is a drop of dead algae here and there in the pool, I'm just waiting for it to clear up so I can see it better and vacuum it to waste again. I then realized I had 2 ppm of Ammonia and no CYA at all. I shocked like crazy with sodium-dichlor granules and got rid of the ammonia . I started adding CYA but decided to do it slowly, am I right that my goal is 70-75 with the SWG ? I did not add all the CYA yet, I will retest Sunday which is a week from when I put in the the initial CYA dose. I tested last night and had 50ppm of CYA , so I willadd the rest to get there on Sunday.Alk is good , Ph was a drop low so I added to bring it up to 7.2, I did put in some clarifier this morning as well, and am able to finally see the bottom ( 10 Ft deep) , but not so clearly yet . Is there anything I'm missing ???? THANKS
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like you are doing fairly well. CYA between 70 and 80 is good with a SWG.

Are you able to maintain an FC level yet? Or does all the chlorine vanish?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, tested it again tonight, the FC is at 11, Alk is 90, Ph is 7.2, Cya is holding at 50. It really cleared up today, filter is running 24 hours a day fire a week already, but I think we're getting there.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok,pool has really cleared up,numbers are :

Fc 6
    Ph 7.5
    Alk 160
    Cya 50

I want to raise the Cya to 75, what do i d OK about the alkalinity ?

7. Back To Top    #7

The "lazy" way to lower TA is to simply lower PH to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8. TA will slowly come down and eventually get into range.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

ok, will there be any damage or danger in swimming with high TA ?? Doesn't the SWG raiose the PH ???

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, the SWG causes the PH to rise when the TA is high. Just do as Jason said and it's not a problem. There is no danger associated with high TA. If high TA combined with high PH and high CH you could result in calcium scale forming, but again, just monitor the PH and it shouldn't be an issue.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I want to raise the Cya to 75, what do i d OK about the alkalinity ?
    Unless your pool is absolutely crystal clear, you need to focus on keeping your FC at shock level until it is (clear)......then adjust the other parameters
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School