Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing questions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing questions?

My pool gunite is complete, and am awaiting coping and tile work this week. I am acting as my own contractor and am getting limited help from the person that I am purchasing equipment from.

The roughed-in plumbing consists of the following:

1. Two main drains plumbed to single 2" line.
    2. Two skimmers each with 2" line stubbed out.
    3. Four 1-1/2" returns that are tied together in a single 2" loop around the pool.

My questions are:

A. Should the skimmers have separate 2" pipe runs back to the pump, with a valve for each, or tied together right before a single valve?
    B. The main drain line run 2" back to the pump?
    C. Is a single looped 2" return line adequate? I read that some pools use separate lines for each return?

============================================================ ======================
    28,000 Gallon in ground Pebble Tec Tahoe Blue free form, Jandy 1.5 SHPM, Jandy 60 DEV, Jandy AquaPure 1400, Polaris 280, No Spa or water features.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Plumbing questions?

Ideally the skimmers should each have their own 2" run back to the pump. I find it most useful to put a separate valve on each skimmer like and then a three way valve that selects between the main drain and the skimmers.

Yes, the main drain should have 2" back to the pump.

A 2" looped return system is alright, though it is nicer in some ways to plumb four 1 1/2" lines each with a valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School