Gas Heaters - 300 BTU vs. 400 BTU - which is better???

May 17, 2011
Just a quick question about upgrading to a 400 BTU Gas Heater vs. staying with the 250 or 300 BTU base models. Is it worth it time and efficiency wise to upgrade to the higher model. The cost differential isn't that much so that is not the worry for me. I'm more concerned with the gas usage - is 400 BTU model going to to make our gas bill significantly higher?

Thanks so much!

The total gas usage will be about the same, since the overall efficiency is about the same, the pool will just heat up more quickly.

I'd go with the larger one unless it was much more expensive. Faster heating is really nice :)

Thanks for the feedback1 We have natural gas on our street but we are going to have to have to dig a line back to our house for this heater, but based on the research that I've done that is a better option for us than going with the electric heat pump.

The cost differential is $400, which doesn't seem too much considering the life of the pool and it is really appealing to be able to get in the spa much more quickly ;)

Heat pumps are great, but they typically only put out around 150K btu's.

Do the math to insure you will be satisfied with the rise time.
You my not be happy with time it will take to heat your pool.

Uncle Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.