Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA levels: TFP vs Pool Store??

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA levels: TFP vs Pool Store??

Backgound - I'm a new pool owner and the pool opened late last fall and then closed before any activity happened. The pool company came out this spring and added salt for the first time, but didn't add any stabilizer. From reading TFP I learned that you need to add CYA to stabilize the cholorine.

Advice I got in TFP suggested I should add 25-30 lbs of stabilizer so I went to my local pool store and asked for 25 lbs of CYA. The guy in the store seemed shocked and thought that was way too much, so I ended up buying 2 6-pound containers of CYA. I slowly added all 12 pounds and waited a week or so and took my water to be tested. The results are below, and the pool guy thought they were perfect. But when I checked the SWG page at TFP, it suggested the CYA should be 70-80 ppm.

So who is right and why? My "perfect" levels are half of what's recommended here, (but I know that lots of things are recommended in here that the pool store guys don't agree with!!!).

Here's my results:

pH 7.4
    Total Chlorine 3 ppm
    Free Chlorine 3 ppm
    Alkalinity 125 ppm
    CYA 40 ppm

I already know I'm probably going to need to double my CYA, but how do the other numbers look? Is the chlorine too high?

Thanks!
    Bart
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA levels: TFP vs Pool Store??

Double the CYA and you're golden.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

SWGs don't need to run as long when the CYA level is higher, so they last longer and you don't get as much PH drift as you would at lower CYA levels. SWGs also help prevent many of the problems that cause us to recommend lower CYA levels when you don't have a SWG, so you can be just as trouble free despite the higher CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks folks! So is the pool store guy just giving me the generic answer for a "pool", not a saltwater pool?
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School