Check Valve from In-line Chlorinator to Heater Rusted Out

Jul 1, 2009
It has been a while since I've visited this site. I learned so much from it when I first became a pool owner. Unfortunately I am now returning with a concern/problem.

I had my pool closed last year (2010) by a reputable pool company (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say their name.). During the closing they neglected to remove the chlorine pucks from my in-line chlorinator. The result was that the check valve leading from my chlorinator to the heater was rusted out due to the corrosive nature of the chlorine gas generated by the chlorine pucks. I am very concerned about damage that my have been done to my heater. The company assures me that no damage could have occurred, but I'm not sure that I should believe this. Additionally, I notified the company of the problem on the day I opened the pool - twelve days later they have yet to replace the check valve though they accept full responsibility. Are my concerns justified? Is there any way I can determine whether or not damage was done to my heater? I have yet to turn the heater on this year for fear that this would complicate the situation further.

If it makes a difference, I have a 25,000 gallon, white plaster, chlorine pool.

In advance, thank you all for any advice and direction you can provide.

Re: Check Valve from In-line Chlorinator to Heater Rusted Ou

There is no easy way to check the heater for damage.

The odds of there being damage are fairly low, especially if the check valve failed relatively recently, but it is certainly possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.