Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA off the charts....

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA off the charts....

Help! My CYA is off the chart also. I filled my Taylor K-2005 CYA test only 1/2" when the dot disappeared. Took sample to Leslie's pools on Sun and got reading of 100 (the highest their test goes). I've had my pool 7 years. Drained, acid washed & refilled 11/2008 due to high calcium. How can the CYA have gotten so high so soon? I'm using Chlortabs from Leslie's pool which have stablizer in them. I shocked the pool Sunday & then again on Monday and the chlorine reading today was 0. Is draining the only way? If so, how much do I need to drain? And...how do I avoid having the CYA rise so quickly again? I just found your site today (yea) and haven't had a chance to read everything (there is so much).

Test results:
    FC - 0
    pH -7.2
    TA - 130
    CH - I got 40 on Sunday @ Leslie's, but just did a Taylor test @ home & it never turned blue even after adding a lot of reagent.
    CYA - off chart

I'm headed to Leslie's again for another test. I don't trust them, but want another reading on that CH.

Thanks - I'm in a panic about it.
    Kathyo in Texas
    21k gallon IG gunite w/ spa & waterfall; Waterway filter 817-0106; Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA off the charts....

Welcome to TFP. Don't panic! We'll help.

There are only two ways to reliably lower CYA. R/O treatment and water replacement. R/O isn't available everywhere so you have to search for it in your area.

The first thing you need to do is get your FC up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks - After reading more in this site I've decided to switch to liquid bleach. I'll go to Wal-Mart and get some. I went to Leslie's and got tested again. The #s were wildly different from the ones they gave me last Friday when I brought a sample. I don't know if it is really varying so much, or that they don't know what they are doing. I will try to get the FC up first. Can I live with the CYA so high? If I have to drain & refill, I'd prefer to do it in fall when it is cooler. We're already hitting 90 here in Dallas.

Test 05/20/11 05/20/11 05/24/11 05/24/11
    Home Leslie's Home Leslie's
    FC 2.5 5 0 2
    TC 2.5 0 2
    CH 40 280
    CYA 100 > 100 40
    TA 140 140 130 80
    pH 7.2 7.3 7.2 7.2
    TDS 850
    Phos. 0 300
    Kathyo in Texas
    21k gallon IG gunite w/ spa & waterfall; Waterway filter 817-0106; Polaris 280 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Since you have a K2005 I'd trust that a lot more than the pool store.

Run your own tests and use those numbers. Pool store numbers have proven to be highly suspect.

It's extremely difficult to operate with CYA that high. Keep in mind that it could be much higher than 100. Take a sample of pool water and mix it with an equal part of tap water and test the CYA again, then multiply the result by 2. Let us know what you get.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

It is very confusing to have two threads open for the same issue by the way:
    cya-off-the-charts-t31916.html

Keep this one going for your problem, don't respond to the other one, will make it easier for you to get your answers.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I used half tap & half pool water. The Taylor tube stops #s at 100 for the CYA test. I couldn't see the dot at about the halfway up to 100. Since the #s are not evenly spaced (there is a big gap between 30-40, but a tiny gap between 90-100), I don't know what the real number is. All I can tell is that it is way above 100 - and I haven't even multiplied it by 2!
    Kathyo in Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

If you used half & half and it still didn't get to 100 then it's above 200.

I hate to say it but you're either going to have to drain and refill or find a reverse osmosis company to filter your water. You can do a google search for R/O companies in your area and see if there are any.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

That's what I was afraid of. I'll rent a pump tomorrow and get started. At least now I've found a site where I can learn how to properly take care of the pool without relying on the "experts" who just try to sell me stuff. thanks!
    Kathyo in Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

I am going through the same thing right now. After a 50% drain and refill I am still around 90.....draining it again!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

been there, done that. I ended up buying a small sump pump from HD. It was $100 bucks or so. I can live with 100. No more stabilized chlorine for me. I've added a SWCG.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

Kathy,

Draining is probably your only option. I had CYA 'off the charts' last fall. I did A 90% drain & refill. When I retetsted I still had CYA at 60. I left it at that.

Welcome to the BBB method. It really works.
    35K gallons, StaRite S8D110 DE Filter, Pentair IntelliFlo vs3050 pump, IG gunite