NorCal Man Cave

Kitchen looks great, nicely done! LOVE the glass tile that you incorporated into the design. Is it the same one used on your retaining wall on the pool? Did you just use thinset and then grout between the tiles when you added it? My hubby is still building ours and I like the hidden microwave idea in your build, I think I will have to ask the hubby to make room for one.

Your picture of the back of your car made me chuckle, it reminded me of our car filled with a full pallet of grass. I was so worried about the drive home and all the weight on our little Aztek.

What type of screen are you using to project movies onto?

Beautiful kitchen! And congrats on the new addition to the family!

Any pics of the pool? Love the man cave!

Yeah I posted them a while back but I think because i ran out of room, they may have been deleted. Here's a few more.

For the waterfall feature, I had the pool guy put in a control valve on both water falls so i can control the flow of each. It works nice when my solar is running, I can just push all the warm water to the shallow side of the pool where all the kids play.

I also had them build a sun deck, it's only about 14" deep so it's perfect the little ones when. When my son was 2, he would just hang out on the spa steps for the longest time and I felt bad, so when I designed the rebuild of the pool, I had the builders construct the sun deck so my next little one and her friends could play together without the parents fully committing to the water. It's been working out great so far!

Kitchen looks great, nicely done! LOVE the glass tile that you incorporated into the design. Is it the same one used on your retaining wall on the pool? Did you just use thinset and then grout between the tiles when you added it? My hubby is still building ours and I like the hidden microwave idea in your build, I think I will have to ask the hubby to make room for one.

Your picture of the back of your car made me chuckle, it reminded me of our car filled with a full pallet of grass. I was so worried about the drive home and all the weight on our little Aztek.

What type of screen are you using to project movies onto?

Beautiful kitchen! And congrats on the new addition to the family!

Thanks CCisotope. Yep it's the same mosaic glass that is on my pool except my pool waterline/wall and fireplace seat backs has 1" squares and my Kitchen back splash has 1/2" squares. Installation was simple, just thin set, and the tiles comes in 1 sq foot sheets that were held together with paper in the front. Just wet the paper after the thinset dries and peel off. I used the same tile family, but in dark glass behind the TV for when I pull it out, it looks good back there. Not fully done with the fireplace yet, but it will look something like below. I mock up everything first in Photoshop for the wifey to approve before I do it so I don't get in trouble later. :). Happy Wife, Happy Life!

For the grout, I used a brand called prism because my gaps were 1/8" to 3/8" between the glass tile and pool coping. And I don't personally like the look of non sanded grout anyways. And sanded grout would have been a little tough to get all the way in the smaller gaps < 1/8". The Prism grout can fill in gaps 1/16" to up 1/2" and it's stain resistant. Spoke to a couple of installers and they say this is the best stuff out there. It's a little expensive but worth it in my opinion.
http://www.custombuildingproducts.c...rials/cement-grout/prism-surecolor-grout.aspx

For the microwave, it was a little convenience feature a buddy of mine thought of. I would at least make a cabinet regardless if you use one or not, you'll need it for plates, storage, cleaning and cook supplies. The microwave has come in handy for me a couple of times saving trips to the house to warm up little things. I would at the very least wire a 20amp GFCI receptacle there.

For the Project screen, I'm actually just using a Sun Shade from Lowes. It's not meant to be used for move projection, but I thought I'd try it one day and it actually worked pretty good. Because of it's light color and when my kids are in the spa at night at a 30 deg. angle from the screen, it works perfectly. If they were directly in front of the screen, they would be blinded by the project lights, because of the perforations in the Sun Screen.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Here's a top view of my kitchen and the spa in the lower right. The projector is positioned on top of my backslash with a hidden bracket that retracts when not in use. people eating in the kitchen area and swimming in the pool could watch at the same time. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the info Nugi! We plan on using the same grout for our glass tile on the kitchen. I love your pool and glass tile and plaster color. Nice colors on the plaster and tile they go well together. i think we have similar design tastes :). It looks like we have the same amount of yard space..our yard is pretty much pool and kitchen. It's nice to see projects like yours to see how one can maximize small yard spaces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.