Received a new kit today, CYA is 0

May 23, 2011
My pool is 10k gal, 1.5hp pump, 100 sqft cartridge filter, It was green a month and a half ago when I moved to this house, and i've been adding chlorine and some chemicals since then, guided by a walmart 5 test kit that doesnt have the CYA reading.

I just get the K2006 today, this were my readings:

FC 3ppm
CC 0ppm
PH 7.4
alk 110
CH 250
CYA 0

What do you recommend I should do with the CYA?(other readings are normal right?) should I increase the CYA, or just use trichlor tablets as chlorine supply?
Any particular store and brand you recommend to buy the cyanuric acid?

This is the first time I have a pool, I have no previous experience with the maintenance and havent go into the pool yet. It is clear now after it was green a month and a half ago then cloudy now clean, but still not sure of entering the pool.

thanks

Juan

Welcome to TFP!

Good to see that you got yourself a high quality test kit. It will serve you well.

There are a few ways that you can add CYA. You can go with trichlor tablets which will release CYA slowly over time. You can use dichlor to chlorinate your pool which will raise your CYA very quickly. But most of us here prefer to simply go to the pool store and buy straight CYA and add it that way. It's the easiest way to control the amount added and it doesn't add anything else that we don't want. I would suggest adding enough CYA to get you to 30 ppm to start. You can always raise it more later if you need to. But getting the CYA in sooner rather than later will allow you to keep your FC protected from the sun a little longer.

Aside from the CYA being absent, everything else looks pretty good. Have you been reading Pool School? Lots of good information in there for you. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.