HELP! Hayward Chlorinator Replacement

Welcome to TFP!

The CL200 is an inline chlorinator, and is still available. Your installation is rather strange. Normally the chlorinator is fed water after the filter. If your chlorinator isn't working, you may want to check for debris clogging the inlet before replacing it.

You need to be careful working with your PVC. Normally it's just a simple cut and re-glue, but since your PVC goes into the concrete so quickly, a mistake could cause you to need to cut concrete. From the picture it doesn't look like you can unscrew your chlorinator without cutting pipe.

Thanks for the responses!

The chlorinator has a large crack all along the bottom and its a decent amount of water. Is it worth hiring someone to come replace it? I thought I might be able to unscrew those big ridged circles (you can see them next to the filter more clearly.) The thought of breaking and replacing pvc pipe myself makes me nervous.

It all depends on your level of comfort with working pvc plumbing.

It looks like the bottom of the chlorinator is real close to the pad so turning the whole chlorinator is not an option. Here's what I would do.

Cut the pipe on the outlet of the chlorinator halfway between the adaptor and the elbow that turns down (See black line in square). You can install a union there later.
loosen the union (Inside circle) in the vertical section going to the chlorinator.
That will allow you to remove and replace the chlorinator. If you replace it with the same model you will be able to put everything back together by just adding a union where you cut the horizontal pipe.

[attachment=0:1njq6g5f]IMG_0588.JPG[/attachment:1njq6g5f]

Attachments

• IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 190
I haven't worked with PVC before but it seems pretty straight forward. Im planning on ordering the new parts and using a hacksaw to cut straight through. Any final words of advice for cutting the pvc?

The cost and wait time for hiring someone is absurd- with the help of Leslies and this forum, i think i can do it myself! Thanks!

Re Racket: why do you think the offline is better? Ive never had problems with the inline. And I dont really have much space to work with...extra long hoses would really get in the way.

An offline would be even more work because you'd have more fittings and gluing to deal with. If you replace it 'in kind' you only have one saw cut to make and two union halves to glue in.

As for advice. Hold it still and cut slowly. Straight as you can.

Welcome to TFP!!

Do as Bama suggested in unscrewing the union between the chlorinator and the filter. See if you can find a SP 1500 Un-Pak (a 1/2 union that will fit over the threads that the 1.5" M/A is currently screwed into.) You might need to couple a small piece of pipe to extend the pipe.

If you have any questions about connecting PVC pipes, just ask - there are a large # of folks here that can advise you. :)

Bama Rambler said:
Take a look at the pics again John. It is after the filter. I agree with John though about being careful working with the pvc pipe. I'd try to figure out why yours isn't working before giving up on it.

I thought it was odd. Perspective and old eyes!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.