Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP! Hayward Chlorinator Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP! Hayward Chlorinator Replacement

Hello-
    I need to replace my Hayward chlorinator. The chlorinator model number is cl200 but i thought it was an offline model based on its placement. Can anyone identify which chlorinator I should buy to replace it with the picutures in the link?

Also, how do I remove the old chlorinator? Do I need a special tool to remove the pvc?

https://picasaweb.google.com/zeezsal/Ha ... directlink

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP! Hayward Chlorinator Replacement

Welcome to TFP!

The CL200 is an inline chlorinator, and is still available. Your installation is rather strange. Normally the chlorinator is fed water after the filter. If your chlorinator isn't working, you may want to check for debris clogging the inlet before replacing it.

You need to be careful working with your PVC. Normally it's just a simple cut and re-glue, but since your PVC goes into the concrete so quickly, a mistake could cause you to need to cut concrete. From the picture it doesn't look like you can unscrew your chlorinator without cutting pipe.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Take a look at the pics again John. It is after the filter. I agree with John though about being careful working with the pvc pipe. I'd try to figure out why yours isn't working before giving up on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses!

The chlorinator has a large crack all along the bottom and its a decent amount of water. Is it worth hiring someone to come replace it? I thought I might be able to unscrew those big ridged circles (you can see them next to the filter more clearly.) The thought of breaking and replacing pvc pipe myself makes me nervous.

5. Back To Top    #5

It all depends on your level of comfort with working pvc plumbing.

It looks like the bottom of the chlorinator is real close to the pad so turning the whole chlorinator is not an option. Here's what I would do.

Cut the pipe on the outlet of the chlorinator halfway between the adaptor and the elbow that turns down (See black line in square). You can install a union there later.
    loosen the union (Inside circle) in the vertical section going to the chlorinator.
    That will allow you to remove and replace the chlorinator. If you replace it with the same model you will be able to put everything back together by just adding a union where you cut the horizontal pipe.

[attachment=0:1njq6g5f]IMG_0588.JPG[/attachment:1njq6g5f]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Why not just plumb cut out the old one, and install an offline model?

It may be less work, with better results.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

7. Back To Top    #7

I haven't worked with PVC before but it seems pretty straight forward. Im planning on ordering the new parts and using a hacksaw to cut straight through. Any final words of advice for cutting the pvc?

The cost and wait time for hiring someone is absurd- with the help of Leslies and this forum, i think i can do it myself! Thanks!

Re Racket: why do you think the offline is better? Ive never had problems with the inline. And I dont really have much space to work with...extra long hoses would really get in the way.

8. Back To Top    #8

An offline would be even more work because you'd have more fittings and gluing to deal with. If you replace it 'in kind' you only have one saw cut to make and two union halves to glue in.

As for advice. Hold it still and cut slowly. Straight as you can.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!!

Do as Bama suggested in unscrewing the union between the chlorinator and the filter. See if you can find a SP 1500 Un-Pak (a 1/2 union that will fit over the threads that the 1.5" M/A is currently screwed into.) You might need to couple a small piece of pipe to extend the pipe.

If you have any questions about connecting PVC pipes, just ask - there are a large # of folks here that can advise you.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Take a look at the pics again John. It is after the filter. I agree with John though about being careful working with the pvc pipe. I'd try to figure out why yours isn't working before giving up on it.
    I thought it was odd. Perspective and old eyes!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat