First Spring Numbers

Apr 5, 2011
Northern California
Well with summer just around the corner my pool is nearly ready to open. After about a week of vacuuming and sweeping daily I've finally removed the 20 or so pounds of DE that was on the floor and the water is crystal clear :whoot: From this point on I plan to take of my pool using the BBB method. Here are my first test results with the Taylor kit, I'm still awaiting my FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC tester from TSTeskits. I acquired these results at about sunset.

FC - 1
TC - 2
CC - 1
TA - 70
CH - 140
PH - 6.8
CYA - >30

My thoughts:
Since winning a battle with algae about a a week ago I've been going through a gallon of 12% liquid chlorine daily to maintain a positive CC. I can see now that the reason my chlorine is depleting so quickly is because of a low CYA. My CH and PH are as well low. Seeing this, I know I need to raise my CH, PH, and CYA. Is my TA ok where it is though?

So just wondering basically if my thoughts are correct and if the pool school recommended numbers are good for my pool. I get uninterrupted sunlight untile close to sunset. Also, can I get solid stabilizer at Leslies Pool Supply?

It looks like the ph is too low, bring that up into the right range. Also, with a CC of 1, you did not yet win the battle of the algae. You're not finished the battle till you can pass an overnight FC loss test.....per Pool School. I'd fix that and then adjust the CH into the right levels....it is low for your pool.

I would go ahead and raise your CH, pH, and CYA as you have already mentioned. After that, do a retest and you can deal with your TA at that time if it really needs it. You may find that 70 is a good TA for you. My pool keeps a TA of 70 most of the time.

You still need to shock (CC of 1).

Sounds good. Also, can I combine all the steps together or do I need to do them separately? What I mean is can I add borax, calcium chloride dihydrate, and the CYA all at the same time? And about the TA, won't the raising of the pH raise the TA a little anyway? I'm thinking 70 might be ok, my pool looks very clear (finally) :blah: :cheers:
jRIAJ.jpg

EDIT: You know I thought I had totally grasped pool school and yet I overlooked that I still need to shock! I also forgot about the overnight loss test. I just brought FC to 10 as per the Chlorine/CYA chart. Guess I will check back in the morning :oops: !

Leave the CH adjustment for later. Right now, get some CYA in there to get it to 30, raise your pH with a little borax, and get your FC up where it needs to be to finish shocking. Once your pH, CYA, and FC are all dialed in and you have 0.5 CC or less, then you can tackle the CH.

Ok I left the CH alone. I put about 4lbs of CYA in some socks and threw them in the skimmer. I didn't have any more socks to use but poolcalculator says I need about 8lbs. I have the CYA just no more socks for now, is this ok?

I also poured in 156oz of Borax (2 boxes), about half of what I need to raise pH to 7.5 range.

The 2gallons of liquid chlorine I poured in last night after sunset raised my FC to 10 which is shock level with the low CYA I had. When I took a reading today I had no FC :cry: I see no visible algae but am suspecting I'm losing it so fast to the sun with a low CYA?

You are fine on CYA. Add what CYA you can now and then when the sock is empty add some more.

The crucial thing on PH is to get it to 7.2 or higher. If you get it to 7.2 or more you can stop raising PH for now and finish adjusting it after you are done shocking.

With very low CYA you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each day. You can get some idea of how you are doing cleaning up the pool by doing an overnight FC loss test (see in Pool School).

I got up early enough and did a FC loss test and passed as accurately as my DPD chlorine test can be. The FC is also not being lost to the day's sun, that CYA I have in the skimmer must be acting fast! I also checked the pH and it is up near 7, I poured in some more borax to get in near 7.5. Are all of the other tests going to be off with the CYA in the skimmer? Should I just concentrate on the FC for a week while the CYA is added? Also, I ran my filter for 24hrs, do I need to keep running it until the socks are empty?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.