need help with BBB method for my new pool

May 19, 2011
Hardy, Virginia
I shocked my pool and got the FC to 1ppm. My ph is low at 6.2, I added baking soda (not sure if this was right!). Can't test that again for another hour. When do I add more bleach, and when should I use borax? Also, my water hardness is low...what's the best thing to add to bring it up? My CYA is zero...I didn't want to put stabilizer in with shock. Oh, and my alkalinity was 0 when I tested.

Retest your TA level, then if TA is below 50, bring TA up to 50 or 60 with baking soda. Give that an hour to mix in. Then test PH again and adjust the PH to at least 7.2, with borax. Only then should you start shocking.

Without any CYA you will lose chlorine very quickly to sunlight. You can start adding CYA at the same time you are shocking.

As Jason said, you need to add enough CYA/stabilizer to get the pool into the 30 or so range or it won't hold FC long enough to do you any good. Shock it at that level. Don't worry about CH at this point--------you didn't give us a level to work with yet anyhow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.