Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help with BBB method for my new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Hardy, Virginia

need help with BBB method for my new pool

I shocked my pool and got the FC to 1ppm. My ph is low at 6.2, I added baking soda (not sure if this was right!). Can't test that again for another hour. When do I add more bleach, and when should I use borax? Also, my water hardness is low...what's the best thing to add to bring it up? My CYA is zero...I didn't want to put stabilizer in with shock. Oh, and my alkalinity was 0 when I tested.
    15' wide x30' long x 4.5' deep vinyl above ground, 13,500 gallons, hayward dream line sand filter, hayward power-flo lx pump 1.0 hp, lil shark cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: need help with BBB method for my new pool

Retest your TA level, then if TA is below 50, bring TA up to 50 or 60 with baking soda. Give that an hour to mix in. Then test PH again and adjust the PH to at least 7.2, with borax. Only then should you start shocking.

Without any CYA you will lose chlorine very quickly to sunlight. You can start adding CYA at the same time you are shocking.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: need help with BBB method for my new pool

As Jason said, you need to add enough CYA/stabilizer to get the pool into the 30 or so range or it won't hold FC long enough to do you any good. Shock it at that level. Don't worry about CH at this point--------you didn't give us a level to work with yet anyhow.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!