Excavation Costs

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Anyone have any idea what excavation costs are on a typical pool? I know it varies wildly in different areas, but I just want some figures for comparison. My excavator was a friend and I want to offer him compensation even though he called it a favor, without insulting him by offerring him too little. Its a tactfully difficult situation, but I feel compelled to offer it.

My good friend that helped me dig mine charged me $25/hr. It was his first pool dig and he felt he would be a little slow so he even cut the hours back from actual. I think we settled on 12 or 16 hrs of bobcat and excavator work, so it was 300-$400. I don't remember the exact amount because he helped me with the walls and a few other things for only $10/ hr.
I rented the equipment at $210 for an excavator for one day and $440 for the bobcat for a week.
Basically 1k total for digging a sport depth 18x36.
John

Thanks John. Well I had 5 guys, 14 hours, a big trackhoe, a rubber-tire loader, and 2 dump trucks. Should have got more trucks we waited on them alot even though they were only running 10 miles to dump (construction on interstate highway).

This was a heavy road construction crew loaned to me by a friend who owns the company. I have since talked to him about it and while he wouldnt take cash, we settled on me installing a security system with cameras at his "camp" on the river. (camp is in quotes coz this camp is a mini-mansion with a dock, pool, speedboats and every toy known to man).

They worked their butts off and moved over 150 cubic yards of dirt. Lowered the entire backyard grade by 1 foot and then dug the pool. I had given the crew some cash just cuz they worked like demons and put up with me badgering the heck out of them, but I wanted to offer my friend compensation for equipment and crew too.

Hi Lershac,
I also should have mentioned, I did not have to haul off any dirt, I just piled it up nearby with the Bobcat while my excavator friend dug it. My pool area was sloped so I eventually used the dirt to backfill and raise the area around the pool by up to 2 feet.
I don't know what the security system cost you but it sounds like you got a very good deal too... :cheers:

John

My total cost to excavate was about $5800 and that was for a 200 ft perimeter (40K gallon) pool. Typically the excavator runs between $70 and $105 depending on its size. I had both a bobcat and an excavator and mine took two days due to the amount of dump truck loads needed - 24 truckloads of a super 10. For the labor $25 per hour is fair. Trucks run about $60 per hour in these parts so long as they do not have to go far to dump.

I paid $3100 7 years ago. Thats a 40x19, 11 feet deep. And there ended up being some rock work! They quoted 15 hours but it ended up being like 18 and they didnt even stop for lunch!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I did pretty good. Also my excavators gave me my steel guy's also! Kind of a package deal! One went with the other! The dig crew lost money, he under estimated the job. The only had a mile to dump though so there was no waiting, good thing for him!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.