Am I on the right track

May 23, 2011
Stockton, CA
Hello TFP!

My pool is 14'x23' 7,500gal IG and is very swampy dark green! Using a taylor kit (I'm waiting on a better chlorine tester to ship :-D) my values are:

CYA: 80
TA: 110
CH: 0 (it never turned red)
PH: 14 (it was way brighter then the max reading of 8.2)
and 0 Chlorine of any sort!

My first step was going to be drain pool halfway (to lower CYA to 40) and get as much debris out as possible. Next I was planning filling back up, raising chlorine to shocking level and continuing to remove debris while I run the pump. Am I on the right track? I know My TA is a bit high but I figured the values will all change once I lower the CYA and start getting some chlorine in the water.

Hi, welcome to TFP!
Don't worry about the TA at this point, it probably will change before you are finished with the shock process.

The first thing you need to do is retest the pH! If it is really that high then use The Pool Calculator to find out how much Muriatic acid you will need to lower the pH to 7.2 . Use 8.2 for your starting number. Repeat the process until the pH measures between 7.2 to 7.5.

CYA of 80 is a little high. If you are dropping it just for shocking the pool then you should only need to drain about 1/4 of the pool's volume.

Double check the CH results. Be sure to swirl the tube about a minute between each drop so that it mixes well. If you still get very low results have it tested at the pool store, just don't buy anything from them and post the result here.

Be sure you recheck and adjust the pH first. High pH and low CH can lead to significant damage to the plaster finish.

I tested again and waited and stirred between each drop. Towards the last 4/5 drops or so it turns color at first but then when I mix it goes away. It doesn't stay until it's way brighter then 8.2. I'd still say PH is between 13-14ppm. Should I add the muratic acid after I drain or before?

What you describe doesn't sound like the PH test at all. The normal PH test you add five drops of reagent, invert to mix, and then compare the sample to a color chart. What you are describing sounds a lot more like the FAS-DPD chlorine test, where you add a powder to turn the sample pink, and then add drops to turn it clear again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.