Lowering TA

Aug 6, 2010
I have a question about lowering TA i have never had to do this before. Not really sure what made it go up it usually stays around 100. I don't understand does aerating the pool lower the TA. Or is there a chemical that will lower it. I know the calculator says to lower the PH with muratic acid and then aerate to raise PH so does lowering the PH also lower the TA or does aerating lower TA and you just have to lower PH so it doesn't get to high when u aerate. I sure hope that made sense. Right now my test results are.

chlorine-3
PH-7.6 to 7.8
TA-140
Borats are 40 to 50

Yep, drop it with the acid, you just want to be sure not to drop the PH too much or you will have corrosion damage (side effect - can't separate lowering the TA and lowering the PH) - the aeration raises it without adding chemicals that bring the TA back up. I know, it would be easier to do it only with chemicals but there just isn't a way yet and this process takes time. We have had springs where our top off water has TA at around 300 ppm so I feel your pain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.