Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering TA

I have a question about lowering TA i have never had to do this before. Not really sure what made it go up it usually stays around 100. I don't understand does aerating the pool lower the TA. Or is there a chemical that will lower it. I know the calculator says to lower the PH with muratic acid and then aerate to raise PH so does lowering the PH also lower the TA or does aerating lower TA and you just have to lower PH so it doesn't get to high when u aerate. I sure hope that made sense. Right now my test results are.

PH-7.6 to 7.8
    Borats are 40 to 50
    30' round AG pool 21,200 Gallons, 52" high, 1 1/2 HP Pump;
    25" 300lb. Cooper Ranger sand filter .

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Lowering TA

Muriatic Acid lowers TA and pH. Aeration raises pH. That's why when you lower TA with muriatic acid sometimes you need to bring the pH back up.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Waaay NW MN

Yep, drop it with the acid, you just want to be sure not to drop the PH too much or you will have corrosion damage (side effect - can't separate lowering the TA and lowering the PH) - the aeration raises it without adding chemicals that bring the TA back up. I know, it would be easier to do it only with chemicals but there just isn't a way yet and this process takes time. We have had springs where our top off water has TA at around 300 ppm so I feel your pain.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

Or does it even matter if the TA is 140 or even 200 as long as your PH is right.
    30' round AG pool 21,200 Gallons, 52" high, 1 1/2 HP Pump;
    25" 300lb. Cooper Ranger sand filter .

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

If your PH is right, and your PH stays right, then it doesn't matter what your TA is. However, if TA is 200 it is very very likely that PH will drift up annoyingly quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School