TA- I don't quite understand Pool School Lowering Mechanism

O.K., definite newbie. Pool School states:
Lowering TA can take some time, days or even weeks, depending on the amount of aeration you have and how far you need to lower your TA. Many smaller bubbles are better than a few large bubbles. Lowering the PH back to 7.0-7.2 more frequently will also speed up the process, though that can get tedious.

It is actually the acid which lowers TA. Adding acid lowers both the PH and the TA. Then aeration raises the PH without changing TA.

My TA is 200 in a SWG system. This has been causing my pH to be quite high. I started adding large amounts of acid yesterday and my pH dropped to 7.0. Today TA still 200.

I'm confused about the last sentence in the pool school description. Is it the state of being at pH 7.0 that lowers TA or the acid that lowers the pH lowers TA as a byproduct of lowering pH. In other words, if the pH is 7.0 and the TA is still high, why would I want to aerate to increase the pH? Does the low pH state reduce TA or does MA act when added and then pH is inconsequential to TA levels changing?

Re: TA- I don't quite understand Pool School Lowering Mechan

Adding acid lowers TA. However, you don't want to lower the PH below 7.0. Since adding acid also lowers PH, you can't add any more acid when the PH is already 7.0. By aerating to raise PH, you allow yourself to add more acid without driving the PH too low.

Re: TA- I don't quite understand Pool School Lowering Mechan

It's kinda like shocking........its' a process to lower high TA. After lowering the PH with acid, which in turn lowers the TA...........you aerate to raise the PH back up to give yourself a good reason to repeat the MA process and thus keep lowering the TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.