Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Badly stained - yellow/green looking

1. Back To Top    #1

Badly stained - yellow/green looking

I have a vinyl liner pool that is badly stained, yellow/green looking. The odd thing I see reading about stains is, wherever I had leaves or other debris on the pool bottom, the liner is perfectly clear, but everything else, including the sides is stained. A similar problem a couple of years ago cleared up by using the 3-in-one chlorine tablets. No such luck so far with that. Any suggestions as to where to start? My pool is approximately 25,000 gallons.

Thanks - Ed
    BBB/TFP Evangelist!
    6/13 - Pulled the trigger on a Heritage 21'x54". Under construction
    5/12 - Upgraded to Confer Plastics Heavy Duty A-Frame Pool Ladder and 8-mil round solar (bubble) cover.
    5/11 - Our first pool! 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3hp cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Badly stained - yellow/green looking

Try holding a Vitamin C tablet against one of the stains for 30 seconds and see if the stain lightens or clears up in that spot.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The vitamin C worked! I gently rubbed a tablet on the stain and it was completely gone. Thank you. Now, can you tell me how I apply that to the entire pool?
    BBB/TFP Evangelist!
    5/12 - Upgraded to Confer Plastics Heavy Duty A-Frame Pool Ladder and 8-mil round solar (bubble) cover.
    5/11 - Our first pool! 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3hp cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to do an AA treatment. There are directions and discussion in this topic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Can you tell me if Suncoast Stop stains is simply ascorbic acid or is it something more powerful? I have what Pinch-A-Penny calls sugar scale. They suggest 25 pounds of Suncoast Stop stains at about $7 a pound to get rid of it. Seems pricey but if that is all I can do then so be it.

Thanks - Ed
    BBB/TFP Evangelist!