Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine and pH test kit....TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine and pH test kit....TF-100

Does anyone else have a problem reading the results on the daily chlorine/pH test kit included in the Tf-100 kit? Maybe I'm partially colorblind, but I have a very difficult time differentiating between the shades of yellow and red.
    Wil-Bar 27'x54" Quest AGP
    Hayward 1HP Powerflo Pump
    Hayward 256 T Swimpro Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine and pH test kit....TF-100

It is common to have some trouble with the PH kit. Using a sunlit white background helps as does practice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Are there any other relaible tests (such as strips etc) that can be substitued for the daily test? I feel like I'm going blind trying to read the one I have now!
    Wil-Bar 27'x54" Quest AGP
    Hayward 1HP Powerflo Pump
    Hayward 256 T Swimpro Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

With a little practice (and remember you don't have to be "perfect"), the OTO test is almost ALWAYS more reliable than the strips Stick with it for a while.

When I first started, the OTO chlorine test was much harder for me then the pH. What I started doing was eliminating the shades that were too yellow or not yellow enough. In other words, I eliminated the extremes......the shades I knew it was not. That left me usually only with a couple of choices left which is normally good enough. Now, I can get it right virtually every time.

There are many other OTO comparator blocks available but Taylor's has seemed to always get the best results by most folks here on the forum. I simply could not trust test strips.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't even use the Chlorine test with that thing. I always do the drop test (using the powder) - I can't read it the colors, like you, and it's such a small range on the reading block that it's essentially useless. I only use that little device for the PH test.
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. The chlorine test is especially useless to me.

For the pH test, I have fopund that holding the test block at arm's length with something white in the distant background (in my case, usually a white plastic patio chair) then squinting so the numbers are unreadable makes the color differences noticeable. I can usually even tell if it's closer to 7.5 or 7.2 that way. Try it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pmsmith2032
    Does anyone else have a problem reading the results on the daily chlorine/pH test kit included in the Tf-100 kit? Maybe I'm partially colorblind, but I have a very difficult time differentiating between the shades of yellow and red.
    If you think about the pH test as trying to match the "yellow-ness" or "magenta-ness" it seems to help. You aren't trying to match the shade or tint, just the hue.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

You can also slightly vary the number of drops you add, so long as your FC level isn't too high where you might need all 5 drops to neutralize the chlorine. I find that in my K-2006 pH test the color matches better with 3 or 4 drops than with 5 (if you need more saturation instead, then 6 or 7 drops will do that), though as was stated above it's the hue that is to match, not the saturation or lightness.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"