Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: J-Bead/Uni-Bead or Overlap?

1. Back To Top    #1

J-Bead/Uni-Bead or Overlap?

I currently have a 10 year old overlap liner that I'm looking to replace. Should I stick with another overlap or has anyone had success with the J-bead type liner? I have a 27' round AGP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    13,000 gal, above ground, round
    Tagelus TA-40 sand filter with a jaccuzi pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: J-Bead/Uni-Bead or Overlap?

They both work just fine. Overlap liners give you a little more play to adjust things during the install, but that isn't a big deal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

We had an overlap liner with our small round pool. Easy to adjust, more forgiving if you are in a hurry and cheaper. We have used unibead or jhook for our oval, looks nicer with the IG styles, jhook method is pretty easy as well, or can be used with bead receiver. I like the looks.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

I researched a little online and a few places suggest using an overlap. Since this what I currently have, I might as well follow suit. Now it's a matter of finding the best deal online.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just a suggestion when you go to replace it. Have a good shop vac ready. We replaced my Sis's this weekend and it was a snap using a shop-vac to set it. We had every wrinkle out before we put the first drop of water in it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That's awesome! Yes I have one and plan on using it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I bought an overlap liner from Nationalpoolwarehouse.com and got it installed this weekend. The entire process would have been a snap if my pool had been set properly in it's track. I now know why it looked uneven for the past 10 years. After wrestling with it for 3 hours and suffering from heat exhaustion, I got it corrected. The liner installation was easy with the shop vac. After 3 days of filling off and on with city water, I kicked the pump on last night and we are in business. Now to get the water chemistry in check and diving in!

8. Back To Top    #8

It's amazing how easy setting the liner is with a shop vac isn't it?? Glad you got it all set and ready to go.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi, I'm new here and I have a question about the liner- we purposely drained our pool last year because we had done such a terrible job getting the liner in that we couldn't clean the bottom of the pool due to the massive wrinkles (we are new at this, lol) I was considering purchasing a j-bead or unibead liner because I thought it might be easier for us to install. But I like what everyone has written about the overlap liners (that's what we already had). That being said, would anyone be so kind as to explain to me how the shop vac makes it easy? We are to the point that we were considering paying a guy $350 to just install the liner but if I could avoid that and do it myself using my shop vac I'd be tickled pink, and so grateful!

Thank you

10. Back To Top    #10

How to use a shop vac to set the liner There's a link to a topic that expalins how I used one. The best thing about it is that you can stretch the liner and get all the wrinkles out without using the first drop of water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator