To Dive or Not To Dive

izzym

May 18, 2011
Radcliff, Ky
Pool virgin here...We are going to buy and install an in ground pool kit.
The question is (beyond the obvious personal preference) a deep dive pool or a 3'4" to 6' fun pool? Are there any advantages or disadvantages between the two? Has any one installed one type and after the fact wished they had done the other? Is one easier or cheaper to maintain? We live in central Ky and we do have severe winters at times.
My wife doesn't care she just wants a pool, but when i think in ground pool I'm thinking diving board. Or best of both worlds with a lagoon style.
Whats your opinion?

Ok, my personal experience is diving boards are accidents waiting to happen, over the years the one in my pool has been associated with multiple medical emergencies. Most memorably a teen age girl that clipped the slope going to the shallow end mouth first and tore a finger size section out of the liner (thankfully she had braces which kept her from loosing any teeth), and a young boy who clipped the diving board with his arm while jumping off causing a minor break in the bone.

A diving board requires a larger more expensive pool, and brings up some safety issues. Maintenance is about the same, though diving pools tend to have more water and so cost slightly more to maintain. That said, it can still be well worth it if you enjoy diving.

I think it depends what kind of swimmers you have. My neighbors have an inground with diving board, they have two boys 7 and 10, they have lots of pool parties and the kids constantly use the diving board and love swimming down to the bottom of the deep end.

My parents have the same type of set up. However, they are in their 50's and when we take the kids to swim,( mine are 1 and 4 years old) everyone is squished in the low end and the deep end is empty. My dad even told the insurance company he didn't have a diving board since it is literally never used. He got a letter with a picture from the insurance co, letting him know to find other coverage. :shock:

So I'd say just think about what kind of swimmers you have and which will get the most use. If you have lots of kids who love to dive the deep end is prob. worth it, if it is more adults wanting to just cool off then a more shallow pool may max. space.

this is something that was a dilema for me last year. the pool builder recommended a sports pool going 5 or 6 feet right across. I dont like slides or diving boards as I fear injuries to my kids but I know that my 5 and 7 year old love to jump in the pool and go under water for dive sticks.

So for us we decided on a 3.5 to 8 foot deep end so they can jump and dive without the worry of someone hitting there head at the bottom of the pool and with no dive stone, board etc we hope to have lessened the risk of injury.

We compromised on our pool and built an L without a diving board.

The | part of the L is a diving pool profile, 8 1/2 feet at the deep end.
The _ part of the L starts at 3 1/2 feet (with stairs in one corner) and slopes gently to the shallow (ok, less deep) end of the |.

This layout allows diving off the edge as well as volleyball. It was the biggest pool we could fit in the yard. There aren't many pools like this, but I am very glad we chose this shape. I highly recommend the L shape if you want to be able to dive, cannonball and play.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.