Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To Dive or Not To Dive

1. Back To Top    #1

Radcliff, Ky

To Dive or Not To Dive

Pool virgin here...We are going to buy and install an in ground pool kit.
    The question is (beyond the obvious personal preference) a deep dive pool or a 3'4" to 6' fun pool? Are there any advantages or disadvantages between the two? Has any one installed one type and after the fact wished they had done the other? Is one easier or cheaper to maintain? We live in central Ky and we do have severe winters at times.
    My wife doesn't care she just wants a pool, but when i think in ground pool I'm thinking diving board. Or best of both worlds with a lagoon style.
    Whats your opinion?
    1) 13,210 US gallons
    2) Hayward sand filter
    3) AG
    4) Pentair Minimax 100 heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: To Dive or Not To Dive

Ok, my personal experience is diving boards are accidents waiting to happen, over the years the one in my pool has been associated with multiple medical emergencies. Most memorably a teen age girl that clipped the slope going to the shallow end mouth first and tore a finger size section out of the liner (thankfully she had braces which kept her from loosing any teeth), and a young boy who clipped the diving board with his arm while jumping off causing a minor break in the bone.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

You may want to check with your homeowners insurance also about the diving board.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

A diving board requires a larger more expensive pool, and brings up some safety issues. Maintenance is about the same, though diving pools tend to have more water and so cost slightly more to maintain. That said, it can still be well worth it if you enjoy diving.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Mickleton, NJ

I think it depends what kind of swimmers you have. My neighbors have an inground with diving board, they have two boys 7 and 10, they have lots of pool parties and the kids constantly use the diving board and love swimming down to the bottom of the deep end.

My parents have the same type of set up. However, they are in their 50's and when we take the kids to swim,( mine are 1 and 4 years old) everyone is squished in the low end and the deep end is empty. My dad even told the insurance company he didn't have a diving board since it is literally never used. He got a letter with a picture from the insurance co, letting him know to find other coverage.

So I'd say just think about what kind of swimmers you have and which will get the most use. If you have lots of kids who love to dive the deep end is prob. worth it, if it is more adults wanting to just cool off then a more shallow pool may max. space.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

this is something that was a dilema for me last year. the pool builder recommended a sports pool going 5 or 6 feet right across. I dont like slides or diving boards as I fear injuries to my kids but I know that my 5 and 7 year old love to jump in the pool and go under water for dive sticks.

So for us we decided on a 3.5 to 8 foot deep end so they can jump and dive without the worry of someone hitting there head at the bottom of the pool and with no dive stone, board etc we hope to have lessened the risk of injury.

7. Back To Top    #7

Dallas, TX

We compromised on our pool and built an L without a diving board.

The | part of the L is a diving pool profile, 8 1/2 feet at the deep end.
    The _ part of the L starts at 3 1/2 feet (with stairs in one corner) and slopes gently to the shallow (ok, less deep) end of the |.

This layout allows diving off the edge as well as volleyball. It was the biggest pool we could fit in the yard. There aren't many pools like this, but I am very glad we chose this shape. I highly recommend the L shape if you want to be able to dive, cannonball and play.
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller

8. Back To Top    #8
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I was about to start typing but had a sense of deja vu so I did a quick search. So you can read my opinion and someothers in this old thread. And I don't have to type as much.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!