Help with first AGP choice, which brand to get.

hlb96

May 23, 2011
Hammond, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My wife wants an oval pool (18x33 probably) and saltwater set-up is preferred. The more I research the more confused I become.Wilbar seem to buy out a lot of pool names. Is there any order to what quality the products for various pool names that fall under Wilbar are?

Is Sharkline better than Vogue, Atlantic, Garden Leisure or any of the other many names they own? Is their an order like Toyota and Lexus?

Sure wish there was a buying guide. I talked to local pool places and they say stay clear of resin top rails, the on line guys are telling me they are a big upgrade and are better. One says they like Garden Leisure, another sells only Vogue, the on line store is pushing Sharkline as top of the line.

But when it comes to who manufactures the actual pools I am not finding any good advice. Every other brochure sounds the same. Everybody's pool is the best.

I just don't want to get this thing set up and realize i could have done better.

Above all others, the biggest thing I would look for is if they void the warranty if you install a swcg. That would throw up a big red flag to me. After that, I'd ask about replacement parts. Not just the general "hey, can I get parts for this pool" but pick out a few parts from the manual and ask if they can supply that part. You hope to never need any but if you do you want to be able to get them. Especially top rails and top and bottom tracks.

I have resin top rails and don't see any problem with them. My sis has metal top rails and I see no issue with those either.

Looks like SWCG is out as all my dealers within driving distance said that it will void the warranty. I cannot install myself so looks like local dealers are what I am stuck with. Any help with brands will be greatly appreciated.

I have a Wilbar pool (Sharkline Seaspray model.) They are all the same except for size, shape, depth, etc. Pick the size, shape, depth you want and price shop for that ignoring brand names. All the AG mfg void the warranty if you add a swg, stupid because dealers sell as part of their packages now. The biggest thing with the ovals is to find one with out buttresses (old style) with a shorter distance between uprights (stability) nice wide resin top rails, strong, substantial uprights, stainless steel vs galvanized hardware, aluminum bottom rails vs steel, a good thick liner and pick your own pump and filter so you dont get mismatched components. Remember, even the "lifetime" warranties are often prorated, immediate issues are what to avoid, most pools hold up nicely and never require invoking a warranty, its the functioning hardware that is more prone to failures. If you want swg, get swg.

I didn't realize until AFTER the fact I bought it, that Cornelius voided the warranty if you add a SWCG to the mix. I had just discovered the miracle of bleach here and wasn't interested at the time. Local pool store I bought it from didn't even sell a SWCG---not enuff money in salt I guess! Funny how they go on and on telling you how thick the steel is, how well its' galvanized, how great the paint is, and oh yeah-we added an extra super special coating over the paint to prevent rust but won't support a SWCG. However, they DID allow mine to be buried up to 2 feet deep which we did. Go figure. (I might do one anyhow)-----but haven't talked myself out of a peristaltic pump yet.

Ok, we have decided to get a Sharkline Matrix 54 18x33 oval from online for $2669.99 (unless I can convince my wife to get the 33 round for $2049.99) pool only. My wife is shopping for a liner,coving and pad.
I also know that I want to use the least amount of electricity that I can with my equipment choices.
Pumps I am looking at:
1) $510.99 Pentair WFK-3 WhisperFlo Full Rated Three Phase Energy Efficient 3/4HP Pool Pump - 3.8-3.6/1.8A 230/460V - 011021
2) $226.99 Pentair OptiFlo Horizontal Discharge 1HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor - 115V - 3' Cord with Standard Plug - 347991
3) any other suggestions
*I know 1 is for inground pools, can I use inground pool pumps for above ground?* pros/cons

Filter Sand:
Are there any difference besides price with these Pentair filters:Triton II, Tagelus, and Sand Dollar filters with clean pro technology?

SWG:
$509.99 CompuPool Salt Chlorine Generator for Inground pools up to 24,000 Gallons - CPSC24

Misc.
$269.99 Pool Rover Jr

Any comments , pros/cons, electrical use with pumps, or anything else helpful I need to be looking at or for? Also if we go 33 round what pump size and filter am I looking at?

No, you didn't miss anything on the Sharkline-Wilbar pools. They are made in the USA.

A 2 speed pump is a nice option, where using the low speed to operate and only turning up to higher speed when vacuum, etc. There really isn't much difference in sand filters - except sizes, larger is better - you always want as much filtering as possible. The pumps for IG pools are intended to be ABOVE the waterline if I am not mistaken. I have a Pool Rover Jr - LOVE it.

NWMNMom said:
No, you didn't miss anything on the Sharkline-Wilbar pools. They are made in the USA.

The pumps for IG pools are intended to be ABOVE the waterline if I am not mistaken.

I want whatever uses the least amount of electricity, and because my house sits up high I can put the pump above the waterline if I will save a lot more money. My cost per kwh ( with energy charge) is about $.079. I also think we are going with the round 33 54inch (cheaper pool, install and more pool) . Will the Pentair OptiFlo Horizontal Discharge 1HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor - 115V - 3' Cord with Standard Plug be enough pump for this size pool? How is energy usage versus a more expensive in ground pump ( will the cost difference even be worth it )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IG and AG isn't the difference in energy usage - it's in the HP and speeds, which can be the same for either type depending on models. A dual speed motor is considered a great choice because you can run at low speed (less energy) for regular operating and only use the high speed for running a vacuum, suction side cleaner or backwash/pumping to waste. The pump you have listed will work fine.

Ok, we have decided to get a Sharkline Matrix 54 18x33 oval from online for $2669.99 (unless I can convince my wife to get the 33 round for $2049.99) pool only. My wife is shopping for a liner,coving and pad.
I also know that I want to use the least amount of electricity that I can with my equipment choices.
Pumps I am looking at:
1) $510.99 Pentair WFK-3 WhisperFlo Full Rated Three Phase Energy Efficient 3/4HP Pool Pump - 3.8-3.6/1.8A 230/460V - 011021
2) $226.99 Pentair OptiFlo Horizontal Discharge 1HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor - 115V - 3' Cord with Standard Plug - 347991
3) any other suggestions
*I know 1 is for inground pools, can I use inground pool pumps for above ground?* pros/cons

Filter Sand:
Are there any difference besides price with these Pentair filters:Triton II, Tagelus, and Sand Dollar filters with clean pro technology?

SWG:
$509.99 CompuPool Salt Chlorine Generator for Inground pools up to 24,000 Gallons - CPSC24

Misc.
$269.99 Pool Rover Jr

Any comments , pros/cons, electrical use with pumps, or anything else helpful I need to be looking at or for? Also if we go 33 round what pump size and filter am I looking at?

I know this an old post but it may help future readers. A 3 phase pump will not work in 99.9% of the houses in the US.

I would not say 99.9%, but probably a good 95% (note I have 3 phase power available to my house, 3 phase service drop to the meter (120/240 3 phase delta), but everything currently installed is single phase, only 3 phase box is to the air conditioner unit and it is single phase now)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.