IntelliBrite 5g LED beam angle

Apr 27, 2010
North Alabama
I'm looking to install a few IntelliBrite color changing lights. My question is beam angle. I do not want to install too many lights but I would like the entire pool to be nice and bright. These lights have an adjustable beam angle but I cannot find out what the range is. That would help.

The build can be found here new-pool-construction-creative-brains-t31669.html

The deck jets will be Pentair Laminar deck jets that change color as well. The exact number and placement is not yet certain.

CraigMW said:
Hey Les, not to hijack this thread, but how would you compare the brightness of your SAm lights to the new Pentair Intellibrites? Are the SAm's brighter?

Thanks!

Well, mine was half full of water when I bought the house in April! But even then it seemed brighter. I like the LED though. I have the Intellibrite controller and it is pretty nice. I just wish it had 2 lights. The ends of the pool are a little dim, but in truth sufficient.

I have one in my pool and not a single issue with "dead spots", even with the kidney design. Granted, having a second one in the other end of the pool would be nice but set in the "wide" position this lens does a good job of filling the pool with light.

Our pool has a single light niche (as does the spa connected to it), so I'm concerned about the level of lighting. The SAms have just enough light to keep the deep end and the spa with enough lighting, but the shallow end of the pool is full of shadows. I don't think I would want to reduce that amount of light, but I would like to replace the SAms with Intellibrites or something else that is 12V for safety reasons. I guess I may need to have a new light niche installed in the shallow end of the pool. I can well imagine how expensive that would be though.

My-O-My that does sound expensive!

I will see if I can shoot a Pic of mine tonight. There are also some "ray" like patterns that you may want to see. It's hard to explain. I would not go back to the same lights either, if that helps. Have a motorized color wheel underwater seems stupid to me. I'll attach a PIC of my old SAM light as well. The advantage of a printed circuit board is ease of repair. I would hope it would be cheaper than the wheel and bulb, but that may not be true. The Pool vendors have a captive market and they know it. It ain't like buying spark plugs, or Ice Cream. Don't get me started on Pool Cleaner parts...

les_garten said:
My-O-My that does sound expensive!

I will see if I can shoot a Pic of mine tonight. There are also some "ray" like patterns that you may want to see. It's hard to explain. I would not go back to the same lights either, if that helps. Have a motorized color wheel underwater seems stupid to me(nowadays). I'll attach a PIC of my old SAM light as well. The advantage of a printed circuit board is ease of repair. I would hope it would be cheaper than the wheel and bulb, but that may not be true. The Pool vendors have a captive market and they know it. It ain't like buying spark plugs, or Ice Cream. Don't get me started on Pool Cleaner parts...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK,

First PIC is gratuitous shot of my Original SAM light, you may notice it has some issues:

http://www.turbonet.biz/misc/Pentair/P1010589.JPG

Here is the Intellibrite 5G setting=White This is pretty close to what it does. I shot about 20 bracketed shots and picked this one as most real looking(still a little bright). If you look on the botton of the pool you see the "Ray" pattern that the light throws in some places. Some of the colors throw different colored Ray patters because of how the LED has to mix the colors.

http://www.turbonet.biz/misc/Pentair/P1010772.JPG

Disclaimer: Pool Clarity courtesy of TroubleFreePools.com

Les, I've had the same problem with my 2 SAM lights. They've both leaked despite putting new gaskets on and tightening down as much as possible. I think these have a problem with leaking from behind, so I make take them up again and goop em up with some silicone sealant.

Thanks for the pictures of your Intellibrite. Looks like there are plenty of shadows, as I also see with the SAm light. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point and install an extra niche. I wish the previous owners of our house had done that when they had the pool rebuilt!

Cheers....

Craig

CraigMW said:
Les, I've had the same problem with my 2 SAM lights. They've both leaked despite putting new gaskets on and tightening down as much as possible. I think these have a problem with leaking from behind, so I make take them up again and goop em up with some silicone sealant.

Thanks for the pictures of your Intellibrite. Looks like there are plenty of shadows, as I also see with the SAm light. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point and install an extra niche. I wish the previous owners of our house had done that when they had the pool rebuilt!

Cheers....

Craig

I sent you a PM, you should read it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.