Remote & P4 System Says Low Salt, But Tests Show Normal

Oct 15, 2010
My salt levels are between 3,000 - 3,500 PPM as they should be, however my P4 and remote system keep saying low salt levels and for me to check the salt level. Is there perhaps something wrong with the salt sensor/meter that's measuring the salt level or do I need to reset the system? Not too familiar with this as I've just started using this for the first time being that I'm a new IG pool owner.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

JasonLion said:
The salt sensor can read lower than actual when the water is cold, or the cell has calcium scaling, or the cell is wearing out and is about to fail.

What's considered cold because I've had the system up to over 80 degrees and still giving me the warning. All of the equipment and the pool are brand new, so can't imagine it's wearing out already. When you say the cell is wearing out, where is this cell located? Again, not too familiar with everything just yet.

Thanks

Okay... I just noticed that the system was setup with T-CELL type 15 but I actually own T-CELL 9. I've switched it in the configuration menu but it's still showing "Check System" Low Salt Levels. I know for a fact my salt levels are more than adequate. Do I need to somehow reset the system now that i've changed the cell type to 9? Could any damage have been caused by them having it set to the wrong cell? Also, what does the Chemistry Wizard do in the configuration menu?

Thanks

The chemistry wizard is used to control the optional ORP/PH automation system.

Try going to the diagnostic menu and getting an instant salt reading. If that number is reasonable, press "+" to set the averaged salt level to the instant level.

Just realized that I needed to have the chlorinator on to see the salt reading. Instant salt shows 2700ppm and avg shows 2800ppm. When I check it with a test strip, it looks like it has slightly more than 3000ppm.

A few questions:

- Do I leave the chlorinator on in the diagnostics menu at all times?
- should I be concerned that it's reading a salt level of 2800ppm
- at what level/threshold does the system start warning me that the salt levels are too low?

Thanks again for your help. I have already learned a few things I didn't know before ;)

I'm not sure what you mean "chlorinator on in the diagnostics menu"? You don't need to be displaying the diagnostics menu.
All of the salt tests are +-400, so 2700, 2800, and 3000 are all the same within the precision of the salt test reading.
It will start warning you that salt is too low below 2700. If I remember correctly it will continue working down to about 2500.

The only way I was able to view the salt readings was by going into the diagnostics menu and there was an option to turn chlorinator on with a 10 second delay and then it gave me the salt reading along with a few other stats 26.89v 3.95a 72 degrees.

JasonLion said:
I'm not sure what you mean "chlorinator on in the diagnostics menu"? You don't need to be displaying the diagnostics menu.
All of the salt tests are +-400, so 2700, 2800, and 3000 are all the same within the precision of the salt test reading.
It will start warning you that salt is too low below 2700. If I remember correctly it will continue working down to about 2500.

Normally you setup the SWG on the Settings Menu. Goto Pool Chlorinator or Spa Chlorinator and adjust the percentage setting you want. The recent average salt level normally appears in the default display cycle, but won't show if the percentages are both set to zero or the cell hasn't been on in a while. I think that what happened was that changing the cell type made it reset the running average and turn the percentage settings to zero.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To figure out the correct percentage setting: measure the FC level in the early evening. If FC is higher than your target level turn down the percentage. If FC is lower than your target level turn up the percentage. As you get closer to the correct setting make smaller adjustments. Eventually you should be able to dial it in so it is just right.

Perfect...thanks again for all the feedback today - learned a lot!

JasonLion said:
To figure out the correct percentage setting: measure the FC level in the early evening. If FC is higher than your target level turn down the percentage. If FC is lower than your target level turn up the percentage. As you get closer to the correct setting make smaller adjustments. Eventually you should be able to dial it in so it is just right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.