City Water Green?

May 23, 2011
Sebring, FL
Hi,
I just filled an above ground pool and the water is green straight out of the tap. More like a green tint not bad but noticeable once it got to be half full. I new that couldn't be algae but I applied shock anyway. All readings are good and water is clear, just a green tint. I was wondering if metals in the city water could do that?

Welcome to TFP!

Clear transparent green water is often metals in the water. Municipal water doesn't usually have metals in it, but it can in some places. Try adding a startup dose of sequestrant and see if that clears up the water. Also, keep an eye on things for a day or two in case it is actually the first sign of algae getting started (which can leave the water mostly clear for the first several hours).

I will do that, thank you JasonLion. I'm wondering if there was some algae in our city water. Yuck! I noticed that the skimmer hose is starting to green up a little. I guess it might be from the hose? but I use that hose all the time. Still clear today though. I will get some sequestrant tomorrow and maybe add shock again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.