Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: confused...

1. Back To Top    #1

Hardy, Virginia

Ok I shocked my brand new pool for the first time last night. This morning I tested it and the free chlorine is through the roof at 10. All the other tests came back at the lowest possible reading. I'm very new to this and don't know if this is normal or not. How long will the FC stay up like that? I wasn't able to run the filter all night because of a thunder storm/tornado watch. I did turn it on this morning. Could that be it? And what do I do next with the chemicals?
    15' wide x30' long x 4.5' deep vinyl above ground, 13,500 gallons, hayward dream line sand filter, hayward power-flo lx pump 1.0 hp, lil shark cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: confused...

Your pump should be running at least an hour before you test.

I suggest you retest and post back with all your numbers.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Please explain 'how' you shocked it? Also explain how you tested the water and post a full set of test results?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Kirsten, Welcome to TFP

As mentioned above, posting a full set of test results will help. Also do please note how you are testing the water and why you decided to go through the shock process. Test strips and pool store results are known to vary quite a bit, with a good at home drop based kit being most consistent and dependable.

FC of 10 is not all that bad if you have enough CYA in your water....the issue with your post is that we have no idea what "All the other tests came back at the lowest possible reading." means

You can read more about test kits here

Now let's see if we can get your pool season started
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator