Am I on the right track?

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
I started using 6% bleach almost two weeks ago. My CYA is on the higher side, 70 (no SWG). I was told here and according to the calculator to keep FC at about 8ppm. I've been testing every other day at this point b/c it's been cool here and FC has been holding. Yesterday it was at 6ppm so added 2 cups 6% bleach and last night it was back to 8ppm. The pool calculator said to add 1.5 quarts, (I added less b/c last time I added a quart it took it from 7ppm to 11ppm.) So even though I'm adding less bleach than recommended since my pool is holding it and the level isn't dropping I'm ok to keep doing what I'm doing right? I'll be testing FC everyday once it warms up, I just didn't want to go through all of the powder before the season gets really underway.

All of the other numbers look good and water is crystal clear.

Bama Rambler said:
How many gallons are you telling the PC your pool is?

Is it off on all chems you add or just bleach?

14k gallons. I haven't had to add anything else b/c my other numbers have been fine. I don't think it is off, I think it is just that the pool isn't using up cholorine as fast as it was predicted. The weather has been cool and no one has been in the pool.

If your pool is 15x30x4ft. flat bottom......your pool volume should be 12k gallons. Do you have a scooped out deep end? that could be throwing your calculations off. A quart of bleach should only raise your FC by about 1.5 My pool is about the same size but I use a lower number than the pool calc says. 4 feet deep is to the TOP of the skimmer and it is never at that level.

:oops: I was debating whether to admit this but I was randomly forgetting to multiply the drops for the FC test by .5 so sometimes I thought I was high and other times I was just right. :hammer:

I'm doing it correctly now (since Saturday), levels are perfect, I'm adding what the pool calculator says and everything is finally making sense. I swear I'm not an idiot, I have a freaking masters degree for pete's sake. :blah:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
melissab said:
:oops: I was debating whether to admit this but I was randomly forgetting to multiply the drops for the FC test by .5 so sometimes I thought I was high and other times I was just right. :hammer:

I'm doing it correctly now (since Saturday), levels are perfect, I'm adding what the pool calculator says and everything is finally making sense. I swear I'm not an idiot, I have a freaking masters degree for pete's sake. :blah:

:mrgreen:

We all do things like that every now an then!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.