method of testing chlorine levels

Mar 29, 2011
Camas, WA
I am having trouble reading the yellow block for the chlorine test. :?: My subjective reading is higher than the reading I get when I test 10ml of water with the powder/drops method.

For example tonight I think the yellow was at about 3.5 or so whereas the powder/drop test came up with 2.5.

I am opting for testing with the powder and 0871 drops. What are your thoughts on this?

The OTO chlorine test (drops turn the sample some shade of yellow) is best for doing a simple chlorine/no chlorine check. One typical approach is to use the OTO test 6 days a week just to make sure nothing has gone really wrong and then use the full FAS-DPD test once a week to recalibrate how much chlorine you are adding each day.

Thanks Jason. I add some chlorine every nite (we haven't installed the SW yet). So is a guesstimate acceptable 6 days a week using the OTO, then do the FAS/DPD on day 7?

I think I am paranoid of getting watermold again like we did with the Baquacil if we we off at all.

Yes, at least once you are familiar with the pool going six days on guesstimates based on approx OTO readings is just fine. The only tricky part is to get a good base estimate to work from, which often takes a couple of weeks of testing with FAS-DPD to develop. But once you have things on track all you really need to watch for is something going wildly wrong, which OTO can tell you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.