Thumping with pump off

May 6, 2011
When my filter pump shuts off for the night I sometimes get a loud thumpimg noise from the pipes. If I open the filter bleeder valve I can get it to stop but was wondering if anyone knows what causes it and how to stop it. I have a 1.5hp superpump, a 90 ft^2 cartiridge filter and a heatpump, plus a 2.5hp superpump for the spa.

yes that is the air bleed, no the heater is not running. Everything is off when the bangin occurs, overnight it gets softer and softer till it stops. It does not happen all the time only sometimes. I beleive after checking online it is called a water hammer but I don't know how to stop it.

I've got to see a picture of your equipment setup.

When you open the air bleed with the pump running it should shoot out water or air. Absolutely nothing should be able to suck in. The filter should be on the pressure side of the system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It does pump out water with the pump running, all works fine, good flow, no bubbles, pressure is correct but when the pump turns off I get a banging sound that goes on for hours. If I releive pressure by opening the relief valve allowing air to enter the system the banging stops, if I turn on the pump the banging stops. Also when I had a leak in the return line the banging was not present.

Ok I thought it was sucking in air with the pump running.

It sounds like there's a small vacuum leak in the filter or plumbing, causing air to back into the filter causing the water to gurgle out and creating the thumping you're hearing. I think if you find and fix that leak you'll stop your thumping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.