Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thumping with pump off

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumping with pump off

When my filter pump shuts off for the night I sometimes get a loud thumpimg noise from the pipes. If I open the filter bleeder valve I can get it to stop but was wondering if anyone knows what causes it and how to stop it. I have a 1.5hp superpump, a 90 ft^2 cartiridge filter and a heatpump, plus a 2.5hp superpump for the spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thumping with pump off

Air in the system is causing the thumps. Likely you have a suction side leak.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have any air in the pump basket when the system is running? (following Zea's lead)
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

no there is no air in the pump basket when the pump is running. It starts when I turn off the pump and stops when I let air into the filter canister.

5. Back To Top    #5

When the pump is running, and you open the air bleed, does any air come out?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

no it sucks air in.

7. Back To Top    #7

There's something seriously wrong there. Lets get this straight. I'm talking about the air bleed on the filter with the pump running. Is that the bleed you're opening?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Is the heater running when this happens?
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

9. Back To Top    #9

yes that is the air bleed, no the heater is not running. Everything is off when the bangin occurs, overnight it gets softer and softer till it stops. It does not happen all the time only sometimes. I beleive after checking online it is called a water hammer but I don't know how to stop it.

10. Back To Top    #10

I've got to see a picture of your equipment setup.

When you open the air bleed with the pump running it should shoot out water or air. Absolutely nothing should be able to suck in. The filter should be on the pressure side of the system.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

It does pump out water with the pump running, all works fine, good flow, no bubbles, pressure is correct but when the pump turns off I get a banging sound that goes on for hours. If I releive pressure by opening the relief valve allowing air to enter the system the banging stops, if I turn on the pump the banging stops. Also when I had a leak in the return line the banging was not present.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok I thought it was sucking in air with the pump running.

It sounds like there's a small vacuum leak in the filter or plumbing, causing air to back into the filter causing the water to gurgle out and creating the thumping you're hearing. I think if you find and fix that leak you'll stop your thumping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks will check it out.