Another Pristine Blue post....

Tebpac

May 22, 2011
State College,PA
Hi,
New to the forum and appreciate all the info! We've been using PB going on our 4th year and since reading a lot of info here and elsewhere, we really are considering switching to BBB. Enough so to have my wife tell me to pick up a testing kit this week. We've never had any real trouble with PB (so far) but the fact that knowing it doesn't kill a lot of pathogens has moved us to make the switch. We started it because it came recommended by a friend and also our one sibling was very sensitive to chlorine at a younger age which she seems to have outgrown. Starting to read up at the Pool School. My wife is not excited about the routine of checking the water nightly but understands the other factors involved. Just want to have a safe pool for our kids and the friends. I'll likely be asking alot of silly questions about the initial start up so please be patient....

Todd

Welcome to TFP!

You will find that well maintained water in a chlorinated pool is virtually indistinguishable from tap water. It's all about understanding your water and the chemicals you add. Pool School is your friend. Read and ask away!

Also you will get to know your water and we be able set a scedule on checking your water..I do a full scale check every Sunday...Right now just checking clorine every other day..Don't loose much with the cover on..Do what work's for you and main thing is "Don't worry be happy"....

Just to reinforce what kplaster is saying, you'll test like crazy the first little while and then you'll become very familiar with your pool and you'll know how often to test and add. I also test with the OTO/pH test every other day and do a FAS-DPD test once a week. I run a full set of tests once a month. It gets really easy once you get the process down.

I test and add chlorine twice a week, but I have a mostly opaque electric safety cover that keeps chlorine demand to <= 1 ppm FC per day. I usually test pH weekly. I rarely need to test CH, TA or CYA -- checking perhaps twice a season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.