2 x fafco solar bear panels parallel connection problem

Jan 2, 2011
Hi there, I have followed "experts" advice, to connect my 2 panels in parallel, instead of serie connection... well, on the water out from filter, to panels, I installed a "Y" to bring water to lower panel, and of course the top outlet of my "Y" go to top panel, but the problem is, water does'n t get to the top panel !!! any clue on why this is happening ??

My initial idea was to simply connect the pannels in serie, but I've been told paralel was better. So where I made a mistake ?? I know if I make connection in series, I can't see any reason why it wouln't work. anyone know what's wrong ?? Perhaps I should have inatall the " Y" splitter on top panel instead ???

thanks,

If by "Upper Panel", you mean one of the panels is higher above the ground, your lower panel may not produce enough pressure to raise the water to the upper panel at the flow rate of your pump. All of your water could be going through the lower panel too easily. Maybe a valve on the inlet to the lower panel?

The total length of the path going through the panels needs to be the same regardless of which panel the water goes through. Usually this is done by running water into both panels from the bottom, and then taking the return from both panels up to the top of the top panel and then down from there. Keeping the paths the same length and the same maximum height will balance the flow rates of the two panels.

Sound's logical... I will try to draw a plan and show you guys for "approval". So if no body suggest to make a serie connection, it means every one seems to agree on parallel connection is best !

thanks again for your help

Do you think your suggested connection is possible if my panels are install one next to each other (one on bottom and the other on top) not sure to fully understand. I read on an old TFP topic, a guy were talking about both tipe on panel disposal, but as for my installation, I just can't place them "in line". I tried to search for installation diagram but can't find any.

thanks again

My drawing isn't very good, and it does depend on how your panels are laid out, still here is a picture of what I am talking about:
[attachment=0:2m7wnv83]solar.gif[/attachment:2m7wnv83]

Attachments

• solar.gif
    solar.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 305
I have include 2 different drawings, 1st is my current connection, which don't work. and a 2nd which represent what I've understand from your explanation. Please take note, on your drawing, I think it just can't be applicable to mine, since fafco panels have inlets and outlets on same header side. Please tell me if my "idea" would work.

thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• current parallel connection.jpg
    current parallel connection.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 292
  • parallel connection idea.jpg
    parallel connection idea.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 295
In both of your drawings, the water travels further and goes higher to reach the upper panel. In my drawing the water travels the same total distance and goes to the same peak height through either panel.

You need to do something much more like my drawing for the water flow to be balanced. Your panels are configured differently than I was assuming, but you can simply flip the plumbing I drew on the right over to the left hand side and it will work with your setup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good, much better. I would run the water the other direction, so water travels up through the panels instead of down, but otherwise that is exactly what I recommend using. And the up/down thing isn't crucial.

So, if I understand, what I need to do, is to interchange inlets & outlets on my panels ! Otherwise, I don't see how I can take the "water flow" (from my red arrows direction) and use plumbing from previous drawing, since in both drawings, the inlets & outlets are not on same side.

I'll try to have another drawing for you.

thanks !

You cannot lay them end to end? I have those same panels and other than laying end to end, my parallel plumbing is the same as your last diagram without having to remove headers or modify the panel construction. It works very well, all the piping and fixtures are in one area instead of apart.

Nop ! I don't want to install them end to end, cause I already made a "wood frame base", and I just don't want to styart all over again !
So, I think I'll change it as per Jason's instructions.

May take a couple of days... my wife is also on vacation this week, if you know what I mean !!!
I'll keep you posted for sure.

thanks to all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.