Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ok to mix Cal Hypo and Trichlor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ok to mix Cal Hypo and Trichlor?

I changed pool companies. I used to use the Sustain products, but now my new pool company sold me Cal Hypo shock in bags and trichlor tablets for the skimmer. I added the shock today, but I'm afraid to add the trichlor tablets just yet. Is it ok to mix the two? I'm thinking it's ok because the pool store sold it to me, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

I LOVE this site, by the way. You guys are awesome!

Dejavu
    18' x 36' Vinyl In-Ground Pool
    New liner installed 5/14/11
    Hayward Sand Filter Super Pump VS
    North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ok to mix Cal Hypo and Trichlor?

Welcome to TFP!

You can add both separately to the pool, but you should never mix the full strength chemicals together outside of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jason!
    18' x 36' Vinyl In-Ground Pool
    New liner installed 5/14/11
    Hayward Sand Filter Super Pump VS
    North Carolina

4. Back To Top    #4

As this link shows and Jason wrote, you do not want to mix Cal-Hypo and Trichlor in concentrated form outside of the pool. That also means never putting anything other than Trichlor pucks/tabs in an inline chlorinator designed for such tabs (i.e. never put Cal-Hypo in such a feeder even if there is no visible Trichlor present).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"