Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex SWG sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex SWG sizing

I have a 18' x 33' agp that is only three feet to the waterline and, by my estimate, only holds 11,500 - 12,000 gallons of water. I would like to use one of the Intex SWG units (the ones on Amazon seem to even have a built-in pump?). Are these Intex units capable of chloronating a pool of this size (there is no mention of the 2000 GPH unit on the vendor website let alone capacity specifics. Any other caveats? Thanks all!
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex SWG sizing

Yes, the Intex SWG will work in that pool. It will also work in a significantly larger pool unless your weather is extremely sunny and hot.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks much! Is the copper part still an issue or have the older copper-free models disappeared entirely?
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The older copper free units are nearly impossible to find now. I recommend disconnecting the cable to the copper bars.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You don't want the unit with the built in pump, just the stand-alone SWG. Amazon sells them with or without the pump.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

6. Back To Top    #6

I kind of liked the all-in-one idea. I have an older Hayward pump that came with the property but it looks iffy. Why not the built-in pump?

7. Back To Top    #7

The pump on that unit will NOT be adequate for a pool your size - those pumps/with Cart filters are barely adequate for the little Intex pop up pools. Get the stand alone unit and use the Hayward pump or buy something off Craigs List - I had the Intex SWG stand alone on my pool for several seasons some years back and it produced enough chlorination for my pool but just wasn't automated enough for me.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!