Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex LED Wall Light

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex LED Wall Light

Sooooooo, I JUST bought an Intex LED Wall light LAST NIGHT for a surprise pool opening for my family for tonight. BUTTTTTTT the d*$*#*$(&#@(@(!@ @(*@&^## dog chewed up the power cord. Not just chewed it up a little, chewed it up to the point where I cannot splice anything together. Right off at the power converter. Because it is waterproof, they fill the cavity of the power supply with some kind of plastic so I can't even disassemble the thing and splice it. It is gone.
    With a brand new LED light in the pool that is now useless, I am hoping to at least salvage part of the $50 I spent at Walmart on the light and buy a new power supply for the light. I'm pretty sure Intex won't sell just a power supply but I have looked on the internet and found several sellers of LED power supplies and wonder if they will work.
    The closest one to the specs of the Intex supply is at SuperBrightLEDs.com. The specs on the Intex power supply is 9W input, 12VDC 0.6a output. The power supply that I found is a 10w input with a 12vdc 0.84a output. Is this going to be too much for the light or mess anything up? That is as close as I could find and it is less than $15 for the power supply which I can wire into the salvaged cord I have. Am I just going to have to buy a new light and eat the $50 plus a new light or can I at least spend a little more and get this light in use with a little bigger power supply?
    Intex 16x48" Easy Set metal frame pool filtered by a Hayward 1.5hp PowerFlo Matrix pump with Pro series sand filter. It's a work in progress so my saltwater system and complete PVC plumbing is in the future.
    LED pool light for nighttime fun!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex LED Wall Light

Just to preface, I am not an electrician, however I believe that if you find a power supply that uses the same gauge wire and has a capacity = or a little greater than the original power supply you should be o.k.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I figured that might be the case but before I spend any money I want to make sure that I'm not going to break anything. My guess was that if the capacity was not enough it would not light up but with a little over capacity, I think that it might be a little brighter than normal.
    Intex 16x48" Easy Set metal frame pool filtered by a Hayward 1.5hp PowerFlo Matrix pump with Pro series sand filter. It's a work in progress so my saltwater system and complete PVC plumbing is in the future.

4. Back To Top    #4

Right - match voltage and amperage capacity as close as you can without going under. If you have to go over, that's OK. The main concern after voltage and power is matching the connector and especially the polarity. Most devices have their connectors configured as center-positive, but not all. There is typically a polarity symbol on the device like: - --(o-- + or + --(0-- - which refer to the outer and center conductors of the connector and indicates which is positive and which is negative.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5

Instead of trying something that may or may not work. How about this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-NEW-magnetic-In ... 27bb2410fd
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

Chiming in here late, but I don't think a conventional power supply will work. You may be able to find a power supply that will work but you're going to need to match the configuration pretty closely.

Disclaimer: I don't own one of these, so part of the following is speculation.

The inside part of the unit does not physically connect to the outside part of the unit. Their words are "magnetically coupled". That says to me that they're using a transformer to power the light and the primary is on the outside of the pool and the secondary is on the inside. It's being coupled through the wall. It's probably a 1:1 transformer but that really doesn't matter. What matters is that they're using AC power to the light and most likely converting it to DC in the inside unit. The reason for that is that DC transformers are hard to make and are usually expensive and AC transformers are cheap and easy to make.

Take a look at the transformer and see what the output is, if it says. Then all you have to do is match that. It's most likely a 120vac to 12vac transformer at some VA/watt/amp value. The amp value isn't highly important as long as you meet or exceed the original value.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, my wife called Intex and after much ado, they ended up giving us great customer service and sent us a new power supply at no charge. We offered to pay for it but they treated like warranty and sent us a new one anyway, no charge. That was pretty good customer service if you ask me.