Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just starting out - first results

1. Back To Top    #1

Just starting out - first results

Initial readings

FC: 3
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 40
    CYA: 0 (not surprising since none has been added)
    Temp: 65 degrees

SWCG set to 70%
    Pump run time: 2 hours on high then 11 on low

Thoughts on this? I just started with the CYA. I have two socks hung in front of returns.
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just starting out - first results

Do you have a reading on the calcium? It's not a problem if it is low, but it could be an issue if it is high.

The salt reading should be according to the manufacturer's specifications.

The TA is a little low but not a problem unless the pH stays low. Watch the pH and increase the TA 10 or 20 ppm if the pH goes below 7.2.

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay we had a nice sunny day today. Test results as of 15 minutes ago

FC: 0.5
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 20
    CH: 30
    CYA: 0 (just put two socks in front of 2 returns)
    Salt: 3020 (strip) 3300 (panel)
    Temp: 62 degrees
    SWCG: 70%

Should I increase chlorine first? Then go after TA?
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

What is your TC or CC? You need to see if you need to shock, which is fairly likely given you have a FC of 0. You don't want to bring your CYA up too high (30 is good) while you shock or you'll be spending a lot more on chlorine.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I will do those tests and follow up. This is a new pool that was only recently filled if that helps.

6. Back To Top    #6

I wouldn't jump to shocking just yet. Until CYA get's into range you can manually supplement with liquid chlorine. My guess is that with low CYA and a nice sunny day, the SWG is struggling to keep up.

Also if TA is really 20, you may consider adding some baking soda. How did the TA come down from 40? Have you added any acid?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

TA 40 = test strip
    TA 20 = TF100

8. Back To Top    #8

So my plan for tonight is

182 oz of 6%
    23 lbs baking soda

Makes sense?

9. Back To Top    #9

Raise the TA first, give it an hour to mix in. Then test the PH to make sure it is still in range. Then add bleach.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay baking soda has been in for about an hour now. Going to grab some samples ...

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay

PH: shade under 7.5 maybe 7.4
    TC: 2.0 (tf100)
    CC: 0.5 (had a faint pinkish cast and 1 drop made it clear)
    TA: 80

12. Back To Top    #12

I ended up putting in 24 lbs of baking soda (2 bags) and 65 oz of 6%

Is there a more accurate PH test?

Thank goodness for the TF100 and TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay tonight's test results

TC: 5.5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.5
    TA: 80-90
    CH: 20
    CYA: < 20
    Salt: 3020 (this is odd since I added 40 lbs of salt)

14. Back To Top    #14

Good progress

There isn't really a better PH test, though you have some options with different tradeoffs. You don't need to get the PH exactly right, just get it in the general range you want.

There isn't much point in doing the CYA test before a week is up. You just use up the CYA reagent.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks Jason. I have 55 lbs of boric acid on it's way. I likely wont need all of it. Now if I could just get the rodent suicide to stop (pulled 15+ bodies out so far)

16. Back To Top    #16

One question. Do I need to bring up the CH? I have a vinyl pool ...

17. Back To Top    #17

Vinyl pools are just fine at very low CH levels. The only thing you need to watch out for with CH is if it gets too high.